Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Does the N900 support sending and receiving color faxes? Because if it doesn't, that's a major setback, and a real dealbreaker for me.

Many lawyers and realtors will accept signed documents if they are faxed, but not if they are e-mailed. The N900 needs an application that allows you to receive a fax of a document, annotate it, sign it, and then send it back.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Zargon View Post
giving away packages of 1500 SMS and 500 MMS for free on a weekly basis
why on earth do they give that away fo free?

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Massachusetts, USA
Okay, if we're all going to go on about our MMS opinions, I'll add mine. I'm glad it isn't a native app, and when it is implemented (I'm sure some wicked smart kid will implement it) I won't install it!

The only person who sends me MMS is my 55 year old mother who cannot figure out how to email from her phone. One more picture of her dogs and I'm going to flip.

Thanks for listening, now how about moving the whole MMS debate to the gripe thread.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mjc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Does the N900 support sending and receiving color faxes? Because if it doesn't, that's a major setback, and a real dealbreaker for me.
Funniest thing I've read all day! Literaly laughed out loud.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjc For This Useful Post:

Many lawyers and realtors will accept signed documents if they are faxed, but not if they are e-mailed. The N900 needs an application that allows you to receive a fax of a document, annotate it, sign it, and then send it back.
Thats an interesting idea -- I highly doubt the n900 supports that, but for some industries that is a killer feature... I wonder how hard that would be to develop... Some parts of that are very simple to do...

Nathan

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US

You may not know this, but the later Nokia Communicators had this feature (except color) and the E90 that replaced them was criticized because it did not have the feature (at launch).

The difference with MMS is that it is a specified part of the 3G standard and it is ironic that it is absent in a device that endeavors to utilize standardized technology.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
why on earth do they give that away fo free?
It is a different market. The younger generations don't use their phones to make calls. They use their phones to text and send pictures to each other. For a flat rate of €9,99 you get 1500 text messages and 500 MMS. Add €10 and you will get a 250MB data plan that includes unlimited access to MSN (meaning that MSN access doesn't get taken from the 250MB). The flat rate includes, most of the times, free calls between people that have the same plan.
Calling other networks can be as high as 45 cents per minute and landlines even more expensive.

The business is all about volume: Portugal has a mobile penetration ratio of 3 mobile phones per inhabitant.

So, of course operators are giving stuff for "free". They are investing in the younger generations that will probably stick with the same operator since all of their RL social network is using it as well.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by sevla View Post
I don't understand.. How are you able to send mms but everyone else can't? Are you on at&t?
Thanks for the laughs.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Im 30, soon to be 31 and I hate talking on the phone, Im definitely in the group that would rather text/send pics. Of course this tends to annoy the hell out of any woman that I date. LOL

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
Im 30, soon to be 31 and I hate talking on the phone, Im definitely in the group that would rather text/send pics. Of course this tends to annoy the hell out of any woman that I date. LOL
those are the conversations that handsfree was made for

Tags
fremantle, maemo, n900