Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Hi all;

OK - I've had my N810 for 4 days and I am able to be productive with it. I have retired my Palm Zire, may it rest in peace. BTW, the n810 fits into the Palm's belt case - I lengthened the velcro strap a bit.

For contacts, I just exported the Palm's contacts into a .csv and now I can see it via Gnumeric. This is a stop gap measure until I find something else.

For calendar, I've just reverted to using the corporate email calendar. This has actually improved productivity for me, because my Zire never did a useful sync with our email system, so I had to manually duplicate calendar entries. Wireless is most places I go, so I just get to my calendar via the 'net.

The lack of beeping calendar alarms is a bother, but I have some ideas - I think I'm going to setup an email rule to text me on my tiny, light, "just a phone" Samsung R500 when an appointment is coming up.

Not having to lug my laptop everywhere is a big time saver. The laptop takes forever to boot, and has horrible battery life.

In summary - the N810 is weak on PIM, but that seems to be the only real problem, and I'm hoping that something like Pimlico and/or Garnet PE will be a work around until some nice developer ports something like BirdieSync. The keyboard is way too stiff - I'm hoping that the "n900" has a better one. BTW, the keyboard is essential when using vncviewer - for some reason the on-screen keyboard does not work when remote controlling via vncviewer.

No longer worried, mates!

Steve

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
as a former palm user i guess you could check out garnetvm...

also, you can get the full screen keyboard in vncviewer by clicking that pen and paper icon on the toolbar of the viewer.

only thing that bothers me is that it seems that there is no way to send backspace using the gui...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Well, when VNCing into Windows, I mainly use the on-screen board or the BT board; but with rdesktop, you can't use the on-screen keyboard (I use an N800), so I learned to use the Windows on-screen keyboard. It's less convenient, but it works. And it does have all the keys, so sometimes I pull it up from VNC for those...

For PIM you may want to check out the GPE apps (Calendar, Addressbook and Todo)

and if oyu can export a vcs (vcard) from from your PLAM PIM, you can import directly into GPE.
(I exported from my old PDA and imported into GPE also).

Personally I find GPE more functional than Pimlico, though Pimlico does look nicer.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Thanks everyone for the tips and suggetions!

BTW, my idea to have the corporate email system text me when an appointment alarm triggers is working great - it has that function built in - embarrasing that I never thought to use it before, as I am the admin for the cursed thing!
Steve

Do you know about PIMonline? It's at

http://www.pimonline.com/

I don't know anything about it myself, but if you're always connected, this may be a possible PIM solution.

-A