Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Hi All!

My N810 is here! yaay! Everything mostly OK. Am able to connect to home WiFi with WEP and hidden SSID, also to free WiFi at various hotspots. Having a bit of trouble with WPA with pre-shared keys, but hope to figure it out today.

The upgrade to the latest firmware solved an annoying problem for some but not all apps: apps chosen from the app manager would install, but then could not be found in any category.

For example Gnumeric is now OK, but the openssh (client and server) utility does not show up in any category. It seemed to install OK; prompted me for a new root password, but then just can't be found. Other apps exhibiting similar problems.

Any help would be wonderful!

Love my n810!

Steve

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
openssh specifically is a command line app. you have to open xterm and issue the ssh command from there. AFAIK, there are no GUI options for it.

it may be possible that the other apps you installed are command line only, too.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Originally Posted by stevecrye View Post
Am able to connect to home WiFi with WEP and hidden SSID, also to free WiFi at various hotspots. Having a bit of trouble with WPA with pre-shared keys, but hope to figure it out today.
I know this isn't the main topic of your thread but what trouble have you had with WPA?

I'd be a bit worried about using WEP considering how many people seem to crack it.

It should just be a case of entering the pre-shared key, it shouldn't be any more difficult than WEP. What happens when you try to do that? Or is it a problem with setting up the router to use WPA?

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
hi;

I hear you re: WEP. I have an old AP at home that does not support WPA so I've been using TKIP and MMH with MAC filtering . Problem is the n810 does not seem to support TKIP and MMH so those are off now. Even with MAC filtering it is concievable that someone could sniff packets and spoof, but I limit connections to 1.

At work, its all WPA-PSK right now until we get WCS/WiSM implemented soon on our 1500 Cisco APs. Not sure why it fails with the n810 - all laptops work fine.

Hey, still confused about command line apps; example load-applet. I still can't becomeroot (that app won't) install, and I have no idea where to look for the installed command line apps to run them from term.

Man, my thumbs hurt! This keyboard is way too stiff.

Steve

Last edited by stevecrye; 2008-06-04 at 04:06.

Some answerrs to my own questions:
* use openSSH to login as root no need for becomeroot
* load-applet runs as nice little icon on the upper toolbar
* find -name <your search> from / finds stuff

BTW, the vpnc-gui works great after the flash upgrade. The shipping OS version is quite buggy.

Steve

Stevecrye, sorry if this sounds patronising, but I'd definitely consider getting a new Wi-Fi router. They cost very little nowadays, and practically all new routers support WPA.

I'll shut up about this now, I'm sure you're well aware of all this. :-)

Yeah, I need a new AP - it only does 802.11b! Right now I'm saving up to take the family to Dizzyland, but perhaps in the fall.

But compared to my neighbors, who broadcast SSIDs and have zero encryption or security , I'm pretty secure. Anyone can just hop on their WiFi!

My MAC filter combined with only allowing one client at a time makes it more likely that a miscreant will go for the low-hanging neighbor fruit. I guess someone with kismet could crack my weak WEP encryption, but they won't see much that is exciting.

The WPA-PSK problem at work with the Cisco 1242s might be related to our use of a 64 character PSK. We have the same fail with the HP iPaq 210s. Will let you know if we figure it out.

Steve

But compared to my neighbors, who broadcast SSIDs and have zero encryption or security , I'm pretty secure. Anyone can just hop on their WiFi!
I suppose you could call it "security (for others) through incompetency". :-)

Hey;

BTW, I went through all the Internet Tablet School last night. That's some great stuff!

Related to that - is there a legend for all the icons I see on the tablet? If so, that might be cool to put in the school. For example, some WiFi hotspots show up with three keyholes in the lock. A lame guess - would that mean triple-DES? Anyhoo, there are plenty of cryptic icons. Here's another - the strange arrow pointing to the right partially eclipsing a little yellow hole in the gpe-filemanager. I'm afraid to click on it, and the help file did not install with the gpe-filemanager. ( I know, I know, I should search a bit before asking).

Steve

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
Hmmm help files install from most packages but developers have given up including them for the most part because for some odd reason the OS immediately deletes any documentation or man pages installed in the default man directory :/ Most annoying :P

Hmmm it's a little late for an answer but i've found easyroot by far the "easiest" to install and get running on my tablet for becoming root

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.