Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Does anyone know of the post about repairing the usb port with the points in the image below, I cant seem to find it anywhere.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Opt - Zg, Croatia
Dear Nokia Users!
I’m having some problems understanding Nokia “WARANTY REPAIR CONDITIONS”! In fact, I don’t understand on what grounds Nokia decides that some product failure (although the product is under warranty) is not something under their damage liability.

My USB broke six months ago, it just remained stucked on charger. I took my N900 to authorized Nokia service, and two weeks later they returned my phone unrepaired because:

Paragraph 2. of Nokia Limited Warranty says that, repair of this failure is not covered by warranty .

By Limited warranty, this failure is result of
a) normal wear and tear,
b) and c) defect caused by rough handling or damage caused by misuse of the Product, including use that is contrary to the instructions provided by Nokia and/or
e) other acts beyond the reasonable control of Nokia.'
I was thinking about these terms and this are my points of view:
a) normal wear and tear - I hope that responsible company as Nokia does not consider this failure as normal wear and tear, so I don’t think that this is the reason.
b) and c) misuse of the Product, including use that is contrary to the instructions provided by Nokia - so, I took N900 User manuals (in English, German, Italian and Croatian), to see if there are some special instructions for plugging the USB cable or charger... i was expecting something like exact plugging force, or some special plugging angle... but nothing special there. So this is also not the reason.
d) acts beyond the reasonable control of Nokia - well, then this must be the reason! Some special higher force came one night and ripped my USB port off with pneumatic hammer!
Since I'm not believer, I decided to ask for an additional explanation. First place where I was trying to get some explanation was authorized Nokia service.

I called them, they sad that they'll check and call me back, nothing for two weeks, I was also sending e-mails... you know how it goes ... finally they told me I should call Nokia and check with them why my warranty is denied.

OK, calling Nokia care (the only available Nokia phone number). Explained them what is the problem, that service refer me to call them and that I'm looking for some additional explanation why is my warranty denied.

Shortly, they can't tell me, they don’t have that information, they can't give me any other number to call because they don’t have one, and they are here if users have problem with their device usage and I should contact the service again. So it seems that since my phone only port is broken and I can't use it, I don't have device usage problem and I'm not under Nokia care supervision.

Back to service. Well, they can't tell me why my warranty is denied because they just disassemble the phone and take a photos and then send them to Nokia to decide is a repairmen covered or not by warranty, with polite remark that this is a very sophisticated phone that requires careful and gentile treating... Yes, of course, I'm 28 and I didn't have cell phone till now, actually I haven't seen one in life!

Asked if they can refer me whom to ask next, they don't know. So can you give me the e-mail that you are sending photos to? Nope. Should call Nokia care for that. Hahahaha. Back to Nokia care.

And so, little by little, back and forth, passed six months and also a year since I have bought my phone, so warranty has expired, and I still don't know what is the reason of phone failure and warranty denial.

So, if anyone can answer me, here are the service photos of my phone.

To bad, an excellent phone from once serious Company.
Never, never Nokia again.
Attached Images

Last edited by max@op; 2011-02-17 at 01:18. Reason: Wrong image attached

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
This is rediculas they treat you like this and i cannot believe you have had this problem for 6 month omg what a sham.

Did you point out that this is a design fault and is 100% covered as it is a well known fault with the N900?.

I would march back into your Nokia care centre and have this out with them because they are not allowed to treat you like this.

Problem is your in Croatia and not the UK so am not sure of the laws there regarding issues with design faults.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ The Netherlands
Well, it seems I will be owning an iPhone soon. Posting to this thread I have the same problem. The microusb broke and I cannot charge my phone anymore. This is just one big designflaw. I still had some respect for the N900 even with the lack of suppport for the community by Nokia, Now, my nokia N900 days seem to end.

A pity, it truely is. It could have been the start of something.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 281 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Helsinki
My USB port got broken out of the blue. Suddenly it reacted to the plug only when pushing it from a certain angle. I took it to the repair center on Tuesday. Got a message next day "Waiting for a spare part". I got it back today (Friday). The spare part was a brand new phone. Only the battery and the back cover remained the same. On warranty. I wonder how many devices they have to change.
This happened in Finland.

Originally Posted by misterm View Post
Well, it seems I will be owning an iPhone soon. Posting to this thread I have the same problem. The microusb broke and I cannot charge my phone anymore. This is just one big designflaw. I still had some respect for the N900 even with the lack of suppport for the community by Nokia, Now, my nokia N900 days seem to end.

A pity, it truely is. It could have been the start of something.
Hey dont be crazy just take it to your nearest Nokia care centre and tell them this is a known design fault can you please repair it for me.

AND dont accept nothing else but a repaired or a complete replacement.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Opt - Zg, Croatia
Well, yes, I pointed out that it's design problem, and in this case the warranty is the law, and warranty terms are given by Nokia and they are the same. So it's not the problem in warrant, yet in one who should fulfill given obligation, and I think it's Nokia.

Although, when you live in country whose ex vice-president is in jail, ex premier in jail in Austria, and many public companies board members too ... maybe my expectations are too high

If anybody planned to visit Croatia, please don't let this discourage you. Country is nice, politicians are not, but you don't have to drink coffee with them, we don't

Ok first a confession, I started reading this thread but quickly became overwhelmed by the size so I don't know if every point here been covered, so here goes.

I have just doubled down on the n900 by getting the mugen battery so I am planning on keeping it till it drops...my issue is this.

My n900 has been very picky about what could charge it. In fact I stopped using the nokia charger in favor of a kindle charger because I constantly had to fiddle with the stock one. Well I have been using a travel charger with no issues for the last month. Then this morning when I pull out the charger I feel that is is not really "clicked in" like it normally is it is just kind of hanging there. also the battery is draining it is not charging. So I don't move the unit at all I just reboot it and presto it is charging. Then like 20 minutes in it stops charging (the candle is no longer moving from top to bottom like it does when it is charging, so I again reboot without moving the phone, and again it starts charging. what the heck is going on?

So I now move the charger to my wife's phone to see if the charger has a little click when it engages (like it did before this morning on the n900) and it does in fact hold steady and charges instantly. I then put the charger back on the n900 and I get the 2 boxes (mass storage or pc suite) that I have only gotten before when plugged into a pc but the charger is in the wall jack.

Sorry to ramble but what the heck is going on? Is this a software issue or a hardware issue? is my port somehow a little broken, is it a lot broken, can I fix it? Why is it today acting as though it is plugged into a pc? Why does it work (for a time) when I reboot with the charger plugged in? why would the charger suddenly feel loose (or not tight) but still snap into a second phone with now issues?

So many questions...Any help or people with similar experiences is greatly greatly appreciated...I have to admit, am really annoyed that my wife's $60 phone has no issues but my Nokia for which I payed $400 used is giving me all this grief just to charge...

Last edited by extendedping; 2011-02-20 at 17:33.

quick note, just tried to more times, device shows charging with the very lose feeling microusb plugged in, then if I unplug (not moving the phone in any way) it stops charging when I plug back in (no amount of giggling works). Then if I reboot, again not moving the phone at all, with the charger in it shows charging. This is really annoying, at least if the darn thing was dangling out or not charging at all I would know where to start

I bet Ballmer will make certain Elop does not let this happen on the windows phones...

btw I payed $30 for the travel charger because it was the only micro usb in the store that worked with the n900...

Last edited by extendedping; 2011-02-20 at 18:03.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty