Notices

Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
If you turn that 90 degrees clockwise, it looks like a looking glass, otherwise it just looks like an icon.
looking glas? Do you mean a magnifying lens?
Well of course the Icon is turnable in every direction. I can also draw a simplified magnifying lens in the middle instead of the arrowish circle. But I wanted to keep some correlation to the WhoGoMaps Icon.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Made some polishing and tried to implement @nthns suggestions
Attached Images

Last edited by Fellfrosch; 2018-08-21 at 10:16.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
looking glas? Do you mean a magnifying lens?
I thought "looking glass" meant "a mirror". As in Alice. But I guess you are right re what nthn meant.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I also like PureMaps best. Even though WhereWeGo is a really nice alternative, with emphasis on the community, from a product placement/psychological point of view it is a more complicated name, with no noun defining WHAT it actually is, like Maps or Nav(igation) or Drive. It is very easy and intuitive to say "Launch PureMaps and do blah", in contrast to "Launch WhereWeGo and do blah".

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to txus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
@Fellfrosch: thanks! I think the first version was better in terms of an item in the icon signifying navigation (rather "active" part of the software) against geocoding (searching loop). Maybe it has to be bigger, but that I don't know.

I tried to reduce the icon to the sizes corresponding to the app grid. I don't think you could see the color gradients on Africa with such size. If you compare your icon with the browser icon on SFOS, you could see that the browser has simplified color scheme which is actually OK for an icon.

Many SFOS icons have the main image surrounded with some border. This goes for browser, messages, settings. I guess, we could introduce the similar border for the icon as well.

If we want to put into the center the navigation symbol, then its good to ask whether we keep WhoGo and Poor Maps icons? If we do, I suggest to tune them later as well to introduce better visibility. If you look closer on night mode screenshot that I posted, it has location icon with small border around it which helps to see the location on the map (compare with the day mode). But, as such, I would like to keep the icons for location (still and direction) after such minor adjustment.

Please note I am far from any arts designer and my understanding of used colormaps is limited. I don't know whether we have to make it with larger contrast or not.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Not an arts designer either, here is a link for SFOS icon design https://sailfishos.org/design/icons/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:
@rinigus: I'm not sure if I understood everything like you meant it, anyway:
Attached Images

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
@rinigus: I'm not sure if I understood everything like you meant it, anyway:
I think you did! [probably better than me understanding myself]

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
@rinigus happy to read that. But it looks somwhat stained on maemo.org. Here is the original:

https://ib3gk7ocfrdjfrk3.myfritz.net/nextcloud/s/P6YBNosXBKLG9xE

did some smaller fixes:
https://ib3gk7ocfrdjfrk3.myfritz.net...dGWgn8Y8SGFQxf

Last edited by Fellfrosch; 2018-08-21 at 13:33.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
why not? kaart, tänav, tänavKaart, kaardid, avatudMap, vabaMap, openMap, libreMap, osmMap, osMap, OSMap, sailMap, sailorMap, planet, planetMap, neptune, neptuno, saturn, saturno, mapbox, map, mapas, maps, horizon, navmap, opennav, navigator, showmap, and many many more.

Last edited by carlosgonz; 2018-08-21 at 14:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post: