Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I concur Doctor. The iPhone analogy was right on.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Nokia is using KHTML, the engine powering KDE's Konqueror, on their phones. Apple's Webkit is KHTML with a few customizations added on.

By the way, because the AppleTV and iPhone do not support Flash, YouTube is in the middle of reencoding all their videos in a new format they can use. (H.264) Would be nice to be able to take advantage of that.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Nokia is using KHTML, the engine powering KDE's Konqueror, on their phones. Apple's Webkit is KHTML with a few customizations added on.
http://opensource.nokia.com/projects/S60browser/

The Nokia Web Browser is built upon S60WebKit, a port of the open source WebKit project to the S60 platform.

WebKit contains the WebCore and JavaScriptCore components that Apple uses in its Safari browser. Based on KHTML and KJS from KDE's Konqueror open source project, this software has enabled Nokia to achieve improvements in Web site usability on smartphones through the re-use of a proven desktop rendering engine that has been developed and optimized by a large open source community over many years.
By the way, because the AppleTV and iPhone do not support Flash, YouTube is in the middle of reencoding all their videos in a new format they can use. (H.264) Would be nice to be able to take advantage of that.
I took a quick look at "Mobile YouTube" and while it didn't work on my UIQ Smartphone (SE W950i - media player couldn't decode the stream) I got the impression it was just another example of the Mobile Internet. On something like the Apple iPhone I'm sure punters will want the full fat version of YouTube rather than this low fat and somewhat unpalatable alternative - Mobile YouTube on iPhone is akin to accessing a WAP site!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I doubt it; the only things that could make me VERY pleased are a complete overhaul of the user interface according to Sean Luke's guidelines and a straight port of PenOffice (or Calligrapher at the very least) to the N800.

Other things could make me MODERATELY pleased, but never VERY.
Okay, so obviously YOU weren't in the addressees, Karel.

And yeah I was only alluding to OS. I've actually dropped some decent hints but so far no one has capitalized on them.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
It would be unthinkable for Apple to allow themselves to get into that kind of a mess. Nokia need to take ownership of the browser on Internet Tablets, it's the only sensible option for the long term.
Well... all hair-splitting aside, do you want a mostly-open or mostly-closed device?

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-06-19 at 11:59.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
And yeah I was only alluding to OS. I've actually dropped some decent hints but so far no one has capitalized on them.
I did notice some of your hints... to stir the pot little more, I say that I would not be extremely surprised if the next (or next after this end of June release) OS release no longer has Opera...

No, I do not have any third party proof but the pieces of information I have seen/heard here and there suggest that Opera days are counted... The replacement is Mozilla based browser.

Texrat: Can you give a hint if I'm completely mistaken?

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Texrat: Can you give a hint if I'm completely mistaken?
I am unable to comment either way on that one, sorry.

Any guesses on my one solid hint?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Well... all hair-splitting aside, do you want a mostly-open or mostly-closed device?
Mostly open of course, but I could live with mostly closed source if it were maintained satisfactorily!

My argument about Apple/iPhone and Nokia/Internet Tablet is that each manufacturer should have full access to the source code that defines their product. Whether the browser in Internet Tablets is closed source or open source (or even somewhere in between) makes no real difference to me as long as Nokia are able to fix bugs and extend functionality *themselves*... using third party closed source code which is outside of Nokia's control is far less than ideal.

Fair enough, Mil.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
And yeah I was only alluding to OS.
Please tell me that the internet tablets won't be switching OSes over to Windows or something like that.

Please tell me that the internet tablets won't be switching OSes over to Windows or something like that.
I'm hoping that's a given.