I'm sitting on the fence about buying a 770. One thing I would want it for is getting pictures from digital cameras on to the web (flickr/fotopic.net) without me having to take a laptop with me. Given the variety of memory cards for cameras, SD card support isn't enough - it really needs "proper" USB support. Why should I want a cheap camera in the device itself when there's plenty of small cheap digital cameras with far better lenses and sensors?

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by traveller
I'm sitting on the fence about buying a 770. One thing I would want it for is getting pictures from digital cameras on to the web (flickr/fotopic.net) without me having to take a laptop with me. Given the variety of memory cards for cameras, SD card support isn't enough - it really needs "proper" USB support. Why should I want a cheap camera in the device itself when there's plenty of small cheap digital cameras with far better lenses and sensors?
If your digital camera mounts like a USB memory (many cameras work this way), then it is a simple matter to hook the camera to the 770, transfer the pics and then upload away.

Another option may be to use a BT phone with camera. I have a Razr and it is easily accessible from my Mac so that pics can be transferred. However, I do not know if drivers exist on the 770 for OBEX file transfer.

Finally, just get a Wi-Fin camera (Nikon and Kodak make them) and forget carrying a computer altogether.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Odin
If your digital camera mounts like a USB memory (many cameras work this way), then it is a simple matter to hook the camera to the 770, transfer the pics and then upload away.
Really? How?

Another option may be to use a BT phone with camera. I have a Razr and it is easily accessible from my Mac so that pics can be transferred. However, I do not know if drivers exist on the 770 for OBEX file transfer.
It would be prudent also to check the archives of the forum to see how many (or how few) BT phones actually sync with the 770.

Finally, just get a Wi-Fin camera (Nikon and Kodak make them) and forget carrying a computer altogether.
Which would make the 770 superfluous as well. That's nice advocacy, that is.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
FYI, the Nokia N80 syncs very well with the 770. I've been using the N80 as a modem as needed and transferring audio and image files back and forth with zero problems.

Specific to the functionality debate, I agree with the comments regarding feature-creep but I also agree with Bruce. The solution would have been to include a Compact Flash port for addition of external devices as needed.

For example, I had hoped to use the 770 as a production audit tool. Auditors currently walk around with paper on clipboards, record issues in pen, then transfer the info to a database via desktop PC. Bah. I wanted them to roam with a 770 and enter issues on the fly. I almost got there and was only hindered by VPN issues (solution in work).

Sometimes the auditors need to include pictures with the records. The ability to snap a digital camera module onto the 770 would be nice. They frequently need to scan barcodes, so a CF barcode scanner module would also be handy.

I predict that sooner or later, if this line of products survives, Nokia will add at least one more port for expandability or find a way to broaden the use of the existing ports. Professional users will demand it, and the device has enough potential to warrant it IMO.

Last edited by Texrat; 2006-11-06 at 18:29.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Texrat: Whatabout a bluetooth barcode scanner? Currently my company has a (now defunct) project in place that would allow scanning of a barcode and storage to a paired PALM.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Yeah, a bluetooth scanner should work, provided the tablet communicates with it effectively. Something I'd like to play around with. And a bluetooth camera or phone+camera (such as the N80) certainly handle the photos.

I'm just mainly looking for ways to simplify the lives of our auditors, and transcribing data or juggling several independent devices doesn't cut it.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
FYI: I have been checking that page every day and will continue to do so until it's released. I'll post updates to my blog when they arrive.

I want to know the maximum capacity of the two MiniSD slots. And as much as I like the shape of the new stylus (cool triangle shape) it still is a little too short.

I may actually use the retractable camera. The built on stand is nice. The redesigned buttons on top I have no opion on yet. It will depend on how they work with FBReader. The cursor button is a million times better for me.

One of the physical changes that is real nice it how it is thicker at top and thinner at the bottom.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by yakko
I want to know the maximum capacity of the two MiniSD slots. And as much as I like the shape of the new stylus (cool triangle shape) it still is a little too short.

I may actually use the retractable camera. The built on stand is nice. The redesigned buttons on top I have no opion on yet. It will depend on how they work with FBReader. The cursor button is a million times better for me.

One of the physical changes that is real nice it how it is thicker at top and thinner at the bottom.
Did you get these details from looking at an actual prototype? If so, pray tell how are the top buttons redesigned?

Instead of being three buttons it is only two. The rocker and full screen button are combined. So it is [minus]fullscreen[plus]. The main thing that makes me question the usability is the reduced size.