Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Chichester
Canola looks great, but I *still* can't install it! I'm sorry if this is an FAQ but I did do a search and didn't find anything.
I tried to install this first to my N810 around Christmas, when the new version came out. It kept failing to install, so I read here that the 'servers were being bombarded' and 'wait a few days' so I did. It's now nearly the end of February and it *still* won't install. Every time I try, I just get the same message about it failing.

Any ideas?

Tim

timsalmon,

Follow this steps:

1) Install Canola-Cleanup (maemo extras)
2) Run Canola-Cleanup (extras menu icon)
3) Try to install Canola2 again.

If this doesn't work, please let me know.

The Clean Up file was not in the list, so I could not run it, I'm afraid.

I got so fed up with it that I did a NSU and discovered that there was a new software version available for download, so did it. No backup taken, no restore needed. Virginal machine (though I noticed that it remembered the time and date afterwards - though this could be a physical battery maybe).

Now going back to Canola, went to the website, followed the three stage instructions, same result. I get a window saying it's downloading 6.88MB file, then no progress bar filling, and after a couple of minutes "Downloading Canola2 failed" window and one button "Close" to select.

This is exactly what happened before I updated the software - every time. After the "Base" stage of the procedure, am I supposed to do something else? It just seems to download and install then nothing.

Thanks for your help

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsalmon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hi tim, do you have the application manager log for the failure? this is the most vital data we need now, because this is not well reproduceable. But seems that in some networks is indeed failuring the download, and this becomes a drag to install.

Canola-cleanup should be on the application manager once you get MAEMO EXTRAS repository installed. If you're downloading canola... then it's there, can you try it?

It will clean any damaged installation letting you try again.

It seems that the massive amount of components in canola is giving the application manager some headaches, and we are trying like crazy to find out what is happening.
If it's really on canola package, if it's the server failing here and there or if the application manager has a non-easily-reproduceable bug dealing with the dependencies.

So please, if anything fails.. you can private message me.. or please post the log from the application manager here.

Abs

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

I've saved the log but there's a huge amount of text. Are you sure I should post it here? Or can I attach the .txt file somehow?

I think I've attached the .txt file called Log here somehow, but I'm not sure.

Tim

BTW, when trying to update from Canola2 Beta3 to Beta5 today, Application Manager failed to find the lightmediascanner0 library. After removing Beta3 with Canola-Cleanup, the Application Manager just plain fails to install Beta5, no details given.

Hi FMS :

do you know how to use SSH ? To connect to your tablet with your pc? If so, you can try the apt-get install canola.

It's really odd, that people face this problems and we are not able to reproduce them here : / I'm starting to think that we will need our own simple installer to make sure things go our way, because we never know what breaks the application installer.

Br

Marcelo

Yes, I know how to use SSH and do apt-get, but the most likely outcome is that the installation will still fail: after all, the Application Manager uses the same apt-get, as I understand things.

I suggest that rather than writing more custom installation tools, you try to reduce the amount of stuff Canola depends on, especially stuff that is not on the tablet by default. The more external packages you rely upon, the more installation problems your users will get.

@fms : (don't take me wrong)

We depend on something external, exactly because we don't have enough developers to develop everything. And this is the whole point of the linux based distro, and I don't think it's our fault to trust something that should be working flawlessly and is breaking with no reason. So much reason that using the apt-get do things (yes they use the same) but something on the management side on the App manager breaks.

So, the installation is last resort, and it's only a simple download the packages or a big package and do the dpkg by itself.

Details: we only use stuff that is not available on the tablet on last resort. So python is our tool, we need to support it as much as possible, and the bindings are necessary. The thing is we should get no problems with download manager or libEVAS as we are the only ones using it.

So in the end : this could a problem we are not finding in our side, can be a problem because python was removed from the repositories the way it was... can be a application manager not able to handle a x number of dependencies... and can just be the server behaving erratic, sending users packages broken : /

About your case :

Did you try removing all the libraries? just like the cleanup does?
just installing now will not work, you need to remove canola2, remove all the libs and then apt-get install.

Sorry for all this trouble, we are doing our best.. but when we are not able to reproduce with the minimal precision it's REALLY complicated to fix something :/

Br

Marcelo

Tim : please send us, it's a huge amount of file.. or you can PM me to have my email..
actually .. handful AT gmail

Thanks very very much for the patience and help

Marcelo