Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
i just have no idea about reason of these crashes.

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Oct 2014 @ Finland
Hello Coderus.

Thanks for this launher compined patch! It is awesome, now when I can change the grid amounts.

One proposition.

Is there possibility to add same kind of change of number but for the rows?

For example that you can choose 5x7 or 6x6 etc.

Best Regards,
Mikko

Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
what are you talking about? i don;t understand your idea
I always see people (me included) with the same questions about patches compatibility with Sailfish updates. And I've to say patches organisation within OpenRepos is a bit a mess.

My idea is the following:
1. Patch Manager remains the only component to manage patches as it is now
2. Instead of providing individual patches, you, developers, organize yourself to create repositories for patches specific to a Sailfish version, a kind of meta-package.

Let's keep an example, the first time you create the media controls on lock screen patch was for U9 I guess. And then, you updated it to work on U10 and currently U11.

Let's now imagine to have only one patches set on OpenRepos (a bit as you did with your combined patch) for U10. This patches-for-u10 would contains patches available specifically for U10 and no the ones not maintained anymore or obsolete.

When U11 gets out (it is already, but that's just for the demonstration), all patches updated for U11 are then packaged in a patches-for-u11 on OpenRepos.

And then for the following Sailfish updates. Let's figure out U12 will provide media player controls for lockscreen, then, the patches-for-u12 package should not provide your patch anymore.

That way, people will have a clearer idea about what must be updated. Just remove the meta -package of the old Sailfish, install the meta-package for the new update and that's all.

This just implies, you (developers of patches) should reach an agreement about how to organize yourself to package and maintains those patches sets.

Is it clearer?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by romu View Post
Instead of providing individual patches, you, developers, organize yourself to create repositories for patches specific to a Sailfish version, a kind of meta-package.
Please no. The last thing I want is to have to install 30 patches when all I want is 3. It is bad enough that Jolla forces me to install Tutorial again on every system update, I do not want Patchmanager going down the same slope.

Patches suddenly breaking on a system update is unpredictable and unavoidable. SOme will continue working, others won't. Users shouls always assume that patches have been tested on the current OS version and take caution around the OS update time.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Please no. The last thing I want is to have to install 30 patches when all I want is 3.
I understand but keep in mind some elements:
  • patches are not space consuming, they are very small indeed
  • having patches stored on your Jolla doesn't mean they are activated

And I'm the first one to not want to have all patches activated, just having the good patches according to my running Sailfish OS would greatly simplify patches management imho.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
i think, the ideal solution would be, if you could browse install and uninstall patches via patchmanager. maybe some kind of sub-repo on openrepos.

additional, patches should come with a range of versions, in wich they are tested successfully e.g. 0.7.0 - 1.0.99.
when your OS is out of that version-range, you should get a warning, but the possibility to continue anyway.

but i know, this would be a lot of work, just dreaming

The Following User Says Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
IMO patchmanager is already as simple as it should be. If you make it easier to use then more users who dont understand ANYTHING of what they are doing will play with it. And then more users will complain to developers when patch doesnt work 100% -> opposite of what was the original goal. Also these users normally dont provide any information for the developer to help fix the problem. Not to mention if a patch contains a serious bug and ends up in bootloop. The user cannot fix it and will blame for destroying the phone. This is one point of view

Another thing: I would like to change the quick scroll bar to the left side of the screen. In my head it seems like a very simple patch but im not a developer Someone wants to do it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to synt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by romu View Post
Is it clearer?
Well, not perfect, but yes. Your metapackage idea is weird imho. We're already thinking about managing patches inside patchmanager directly, just have no time for making it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Another idea for a patch - long tap on settings toggle opens dedicated configuration page. For example: long tap on the gps toggle in Settings app opens the Location subpage.

Originally Posted by veeall View Post
Another idea for a patch - long tap on settings toggle opens dedicated configuration page. For example: long tap on the gps toggle in Settings app opens the Location subpage.
It's not possible by design. You really need to have different entries for toggle and for opening menu.

Tags
patchmanager, sailfish os