Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
Looool nokia is deserved to die, bring back maemo and that what i call reincarnation
I wish but Maemo will never come back. N900 is the last one. Nokia will smartphone with a proper version of Android will be a hit. At least that's what i think.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Mar 2015 @ Gotham
conteps

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foxkia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by Foxkia View Post
Nokia N8, N9, E7, X7, N900, etc.......... designs.....wow
N9 was good but the rest were awful.

N8 - chunky, fiddly screws to replace battery, plastic ends that showed wear and then the horror that was the camera island.

E7 - take the N8 and add a bad keyboard. Make the camera worse and the battery worse.

X7 - make the screen bigger but still keep the crappy nHD resolution. Cut the corners off so it looked like something out of abad BBC SciFi series.

N900 - spongy screen, tiny battery, keyboard you can't type on, a pointy stick, lens protector which scratches the lens, badly attached USB port and make it about an inch thick.

IMHO you listed some of the worst Nokia designs.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Yeah, they do. In the AnTuTu benchmark their A7 came just behind the MTK MT6592 processor you find in generic OEM Android slabs:
http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/a...920-antutu.png

Hopefully the A8's a big improvement or else it begs the question: "Why bother?"

NOKIA though will be in the advantageous position of being able to design in the best available. It's just a question of their agenda.
Huh? Apple have already released the A8. It's in the iPhone 6. Apple claims it's 25% faster than the A7 and 50% faster at graphics.

They've also released the A8X. 40% faster than the A7 and 2.5 times quicker at graphics. It's in the iPad Air 2.

Running the antutu bench you quoted, it beats all those in the graph you used and only the snapdragon 810 beats it. The problem there is the 810 runs so hot that it has to be throttled back drastically to the point where the older 801 beats it in normal use. For example, the older Sony Z3 is beating the new 810 equipped Z3+/Z4.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...ocessor-rivals

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
N9 was good but the rest were awful.

N8 - chunky, fiddly screws to replace battery, plastic ends that showed wear and then the horror that was the camera island.

E7 - take the N8 and add a bad keyboard. Make the camera worse and the battery worse.

X7 - make the screen bigger but still keep the crappy nHD resolution. Cut the corners off so it looked like something out of abad BBC SciFi series.

N900 - spongy screen, tiny battery, keyboard you can't type on, a pointy stick, lens protector which scratches the lens, badly attached USB port and make it about an inch thick.

IMHO you listed some of the worst Nokia designs.
He's just copy and paste the comment from the link of his post #6. A comment from "Nokia Rox"

Basically he turns TMO into another collection of fan-hypering, and junk anticipating artical site.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Huh? Apple have already released the A8. It's in the iPhone 6. Apple claims it's 25% faster than the A7 and 50% faster at graphics.

They've also released the A8X. 40% faster than the A7 and 2.5 times quicker at graphics. It's in the iPad Air 2.
So looking at these charts from the article you linked to:

are we agreed there are a fair number of SOCs available comparable to the one in the current iteration of the iPhone?

So we know subcontracting manufacturing shouldn't be a problem for NOKIA, Apple already do that very successfully, and we know there are plenty of high performing SOCs available in the market place.

In my opinion whether NOKIA's re-entry into the smartphone market will succeed or not is unlikely to be about any of that, those are non-issues (unless they pick components that are absolutely dreadful - and they're getting increasingly rare), it's going to be about the aesthetics, the UI and the QA.

Just looking at those charts again it's interesting how close Intel are getting.

The Following User Says Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Just looking at those charts again it's interesting how close Intel are getting.
And also that Intel are buying their way into the competition. I've an Intel powered HP Stream 7 tablet which isn't up there with those performance beasts but it cost me under £50 Inc VAT and delivery.

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
I wish but Maemo will never come back. N900 is the last one. Nokia will smartphone with a proper version of Android will be a hit. At least that's what i think.
With same nokia attitude like before, no, lol, no more nokia

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Nostalgia tends to paint a rosy picture. Make no mistake; Nokia was a good manufacturer with quality products in their portfolio.

But that's no longer the case for the last few years and the majority will now have a negative response to the brand Nokia. Only historical Nokia fans will wax poetic over their prior purchases. And if they do that, the new purchases will never measure up. Atari, Commodore, Amiga all quickly come to mind.

I'd say start something new, promise quality, deliver over quite a few years, produce a brand that's not saddled with the history as recent Nokia.

Deep down, Nokia ticked me off with Maemo. Each device was a start/stop cycle and there was no continuance. Still existed with MeeGo. And over the multiple devices over the years, I'll never do that again. That's my Nokia takeaway.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: