Ok, im not sure if i worded that properly or not. Im using my n800 at work, trying to connect to their wireless network. im also working with the system admin and hes trying to help me. He got it to find the wireless network and it somewhat conencts, but gives me a question mark on the conncetion icon and it wont download or connect to any sites. The sys admin tells me that it wont connect all the way because as far as we can tell there is no spot on the n800 to put a username/password to authenticate the connection. a few of the options i have slected are below

yes its a hidden network
network mode: infrastructure
Security Method: WEP
Default WEP KEY: 1
WEP key1: ********(correct key)

just under any of the options I dont see a spot to enter a username/password. Can anyone shed some light on this? I can connect to my linksys connection at home without a hitch...I'd just really like to be able to connect at work as well. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
I guess Username / password would be needed in combination with a proxy server. So I assume your company uses one. Here's what to do:

- Manually close the connection with the accesspoint/wlan router.
- Goto the main menu, Tools, Connection manager
- In connection manager click the menu (left upper), Tools, Connectivity settings.
- Click the button Connections
- Mark your business connection and click Edit
- Next, Next, Next and click Advanced
- Enter your company's proxy settings

It should work now.

The location of those settings is stupid, I know.

Thanks very much for the reply. We had already found those advanced settings, however nowhere under the proxies, ip addresses, or other tabs do i see a spot to put in a username or password to complete the authentication that is needed to get thru the proxy......maybe your seeing something that i'm not....Thanks!

....cant connect in Las Vegas

The browser should prompt for those, if I'm not mistaken.

Roger that, I start work at 8:00 AM tomorrow and ill try connecting first thing and will post the results, thanks for the help.

If it still doesn't work, you could try to use a fixed ipadress for the N800. On the proxy server state that this ip can connect without authentication.

This could present a problem if you use MS ISA server. There this is a domain wide setting.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Originally Posted by Frankowitz View Post
This could present a problem if you use MS ISA server. There this is a domain wide setting.
For MS proxy servers using Ntlm you can use this:
http://www.geocities.com/rozmanov/ntlm/

You connect to this APS without user/pass and it adds your user/pass to the http headers and connects to the MS proxy.
I used it to get my linux through our MS proxy. Works.

well i guess there are two diff types of proxies, a redirect proxy, and an authentication proxy. the proxy information on the n800 i was told is for a redirect proxy therefore there would be no proxy settings that i can enter for our network. Sys admin also said that making an exception for the ip on my n800 so it could connect without authentication woudlnt work either. He said its probably gotta be something thats done on our companys corporate end...which means beacuse theres nothing i think i can do to get it to work.wish my sys admin would be more helpful...anyways thanks for all the help

Originally Posted by free View Post
For MS proxy servers using Ntlm you can use this:
http://www.geocities.com/rozmanov/ntlm/

You connect to this APS without user/pass and it adds your user/pass to the http headers and connects to the MS proxy.
I used it to get my linux through our MS proxy. Works.
this looks like just what i need to connect to my work proxy with my 770
but i dont know how to install APS correctly and run the main.py
any tips how to set this up