Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
So it's been found out by many that the app sends data to unknown location once it's opened -without letting the user know about it. EDIT: Jolla employee rainisto confirmed the app not to be a malware, and the data it sends can be read from the qml files. But shady -this definitely is, even if it isn't malware.

CAUTION: The files from flashlight won't uninstall from /usr/share even though they should. I deleted them manually using the command
Code:
rm -r usr/share/harbour-flashlight
You can see if it's deleted by either using filebrowser or using
Code:
dir usr/share
to see if it's still there. Also some scrap seems to have been left to run/user/100000/single-instance-locks/usr/bin. Don't know if the file there is important though, the file shows as 0 bytes...

I wonder if it's just me though that experiences the files persisting uninstallation in usr/share? Validation that this also happens to others would be helpful.

By the way I only just started learning linux command-line-knowledge, so if some more experienced user has some comments about the commands used, or other important notices, they are very welcome to give them

EDIT. Thought I should mention the sources: There has been numerous comments in the comments-section of the flashlight-app (in Jolla Harbour) which claim the app causes a spike of out-bytes (knowledge from networkmonitor app?); the app makes unauthorized "calls" to home. I'm not taking such claims lightly and thought to inform others about it too. EDIT: It seems the app collects statistics data (confirmed by rainisto), but what kind of -anynomous or personal, etc. I don't know of.

Last edited by Thoke; 2014-01-07 at 18:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Storm in a teacup.

It's been discussed over here:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...r-native-apps/
and here: https://together.jolla.com/question/...he-developers/

and a fix has already been pushed to harbour:
https://twitter.com/AgileArtem/statu...28286846484480

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
I wonder if it's just me though that experiences the files persisting uninstallation in usr/share? Validation that this also happens to others would be helpful.
Yes, I had to do rm -r /usr/share/harbour-flashlight too, but had nothing in /run/user.

The Following User Says Thank You to Julf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Storm in a teacup.

It's been discussed over here:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...r-native-apps/
and here: https://together.jolla.com/question/...he-developers/
Thanks for the links, I should start following together.jolla.com too.

and a fix has already been pushed to harbour:
https://twitter.com/AgileArtem/statu...28286846484480
Is it only me, but I'm not feeling confident enough to "early install" his new version of the app via that link, let alone even install it from the harbour... or any other of his apps for that matter?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Thanks for the links, I should start following together.jolla.com too.

Is it only me, but I'm not feeling confident enough to "early install" his new version of the app via that link, let alone even install it from the harbour... or any other of his apps for that matter?
I have exactly the same feeling... But I am worried this might not be the last person to put such app in the Store.

In Fremantle, I could pretty much rely on the repos. I know, it is never safe to rely on such thing, but what made me rely was the ethics. One just would not risk posting such thing there.

I always felt that Android had much less reliable packages - ironically, I had a 'not enough apps' problem on Android, that's why I always came back to Maemo/webOS/... .

This is very disturbing indeed...

Last edited by nodevel; 2014-01-07 at 15:52.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Topic is missleading, sending usage statistics to home is not a malware. Its quite normal application behaviour.

But yes, if application description would say "This application uses network" then maybe it would not have caused so much panic.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2014-01-07 at 17:04.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Must be just you. I did read the qml code on what data application sends, and as it doesnt send anything else than usage statistics, I'm still a happy user and havent uninstalled anything. And will continue using his great apps without any problems.

And his statistic function was in very readable QML file so he wasnt trying to hide anything (usually malware would do it in secret and with hidden functions outside QML).
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2014-01-07 at 17:12.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Are you talking about something like this?
https://openrepos.net/content/drgogeta86/lumino
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

[QUOTE=Thoke;1404541]So it's been found out by many that the app sends data to unknown location once it's opened -without letting the user know about it. EDIT: Jolla employee rainisto confirmed the app not to be a malware, and the data it sends can be read from the qml files. But shady -this definitely is, even if it isn't malware.

CAUTION: The files from flashlight won't uninstall from /usr/share even though they should. I deleted them manually using the command
Code:
rm -r usr/share/harbour-flashlight
You can see if it's deleted by either using filebrowser or using
Code:
dir usr/share
to see if it's still there. Also some scrap seems to have been left to run/user/100000/single-instance-locks/usr/bin. Don't know if the file there is important though, the file shows as 0 bytes...

Hi there,

I can't delete the harbour-flashlight folder with this command line - said 'no permission'

With Cargo Dock the same...

Any hints? Thank you

Originally Posted by Licinius View Post
I can't delete the harbour-flashlight folder with this command line - said 'no permission'

With Cargo Dock the same...

Any hints? Thank you
1) devel-su
2) rm -rf /usr/share/harbour-flashlight

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikma For This Useful Post: