I recently bought an n800, and I'd like to mess around with kernels, the initrd etc. It looks like even if I scrubbed all of the internal memory or somehow made it unbootable, it can still be reflashed, but I haven't found a definitive statement about this. Is this right?

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by rivode View Post
I recently bought an n800, and I'd like to mess around with kernels, the initrd etc. It looks like even if I scrubbed all of the internal memory or somehow made it unbootable, it can still be reflashed, but I haven't found a definitive statement about this. Is this right?
For reflashing instructions:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53639

Originally Posted by rivode View Post
Reflashing over USB should be able to recover from most situations (there are some where serial flashing would be required, but I don't think you can trigger that kind of thing simply by playing with the kernel and initrd). Just be careful not to damage the contents of the "config" mtd partition (or make a backup). It contains calibration data unique to your device and is not part of the firmware image.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post: