Hello! Is it possible to stream pictures and mp3s from the disk of a pc (server)?

The Following User Says Thank You to steffb For This Useful Post:
As the device runs linux, it's should only be needed to "mount" the remote dir (samba/cifs/nfs), and all files should appear just like if they were on the device.
I guess for this we need root access and xterm.

Update:
just remembered....
All you need to do is, in your pc, share a directory (in winXP), (or enable samba in linux), and then, with the 770 browser, go to the url: \\serverIP
and you 'll get a list of your files..
(both the pc and the 770 must be connected to a wireless router)

Update2: the above sugestion doesn't work with the opera browser that comes with the 770...

Last edited by lmf; 2005-11-10 at 19:17.

Is there anyone with a 770 thats got it working - that is viewing Windows XP shares on the 770.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London
You would need to install smbmount as well. I suggest the best way to stream mp3's is via internet radio for now.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Northwich, Cheshire, UK
I've got the slimserver streaming working - it's very neat indeed

Yep - I'll put my vote for that SlimServer software - never actually heard of it before but its really good - certainly does the trick of sharing your music collection over the web.

Buzz

The squeezebox3 was actually the next gadget on my list to purchase... the 770 got bumped up when it was released unexpectedly (there's also a backlog of orders for the black SB3).

The SlimServer and SB3 combo seems to be the best of breed music playing software out there right now. SlimServer is OSS and you can write plugins for it... it's generally a good match with the 770's platform for your home entertainment needs

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hong Kong
SlimServer works great! I managed to install it on my Linksys NSLU2 (running OpenSlug) and stream files to the 770

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2005 @ NJ, USA
If you like SlimServer, check out Ampache (open source, Apache/MySQL/PHP server at www.ampache.org). Based on the last time I tried SS, I like Ampache's interface much better as well as the high level of tweakability. Its actively supported with a pretty good user base. Oh and it supports localplay through MPD, moosic, etc. I believe its also working with boxes like the slimp3 and the squeezebox.
When I (finally!) order/get my 770, I'll be writing a 800x480 user interface to Ampache.