My N800's screen just started constantly rolling, like when old TVs had issues with the vertical hold adjustment (hopefully at least some of you are old enough to remember that!!!). The rolling screen image makes is fairly difficult to use! There's a noticable jitter to the screen image also.

Has anyone experienced this type of behaviour? Any ideas as to how to fix it? The tablet is right around the 1-yr mark - I'll have to check if the warranty still applies...

Appreciate any thougts you might have.

Thanks,
TJ

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Funny (well, actually it isn't), not the same problem (a different one), but the same 1 year mark.
Sorry, I don't know the cause for either, though I'm pretty sure I'm out of warranty (both for the age of the device and because the us warranty doesn't apply in the eu).

Originally Posted by nemner View Post
My N800's screen just started constantly rolling, like when old TVs had issues with the vertical hold adjustment (hopefully at least some of you are old enough to remember that!!!). The rolling screen image makes is fairly difficult to use! There's a noticable jitter to the screen image also.

Has anyone experienced this type of behaviour? Any ideas as to how to fix it? The tablet is right around the 1-yr mark - I'll have to check if the warranty still applies...

Appreciate any thougts you might have.

Thanks,
TJ
I have the EXACT same problem that started about a couple months ago. The unit will be a year old in December.

Have you found a solution? I went through Nokia tech support, and after a firmware upgrade, I was advised to send it in for repair. I haven't done that yet as I hope to be able to drop off the unit in person but haven't had time.

Exact same problem here, also after one year.
Reflashing didn't help.
I have ordered a replacement screen, hoping the fault lies with the screen and not with the motherboard.

Holy, I hope it is NOT the motherboard. I went through hell and back with the tablet and I don't want to abandon it (at least not until the next one is released )

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
Arrgghh, I am seeing the same problem on my 9-month-old N800. Ulysses:Please let us know your results (if screen replacement fixes it) ?

Arrgghh, I am seeing the same problem on my 9-month-old N800. Ulysses:Please let us know your results (if screen replacement fixes it) ?

I have an interesting observation. If I open a terminal, without virtual keyboard pops-up, the screen jitters. But as long as the virtual keyboard pops up, the screen is stable (no jittering). Next I open matchbox-keyboard, and the same happens. As long as the keyboard is active (on screen), the screen is stable. But as long as I closes it, it jitters.

This leads me to think it is not purely a hardware problem (though I have not seen this in past 9 months). Hopefully there is some software fix possible (I will try to see if I can make some keyboard hidden but active).

Edit 1: Keyboard cannot be made hidden. More observations: some apps have no jitter problem in full screen mode (e.g. terminal, stardict, eggtimer etc), but not in normal screen mode. 2 apps appear to have no jitter problem even in normal screen mode (galculator and maemopad+). FBreader has jitter problem even in full screen mode. Any system expert can help to fix this with software patch please?!

Last edited by pton; 2009-02-16 at 10:22.

I guess it's good that I'm not the only one with this issue. Since my original post, VISA has pulled through for me with their purchase protection plan. Even though the Nokia warranty had expired, the credit card plan extended it for another year. Thus, I got the original purchase price of the N800 credited toward the purchase of an N810!

However, the N800 is still sitting here and would be great if it could be fixed. Thanks to everyone who is trying to find a solution to this issue!
TJ

The Following User Says Thank You to nemner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
nemner Thank You for your post about VISA protection plan, you see I have the same problem with my N800 that I had bought with American Express ($399.99 on FEB 09 07). I had given up on it until I read your post which made me look to see if my N800 was also covered, the coverage had expired but American Express still honored it because the screen problem had started while it was covered!! This forum has saved me some $$$$$$. Thanks again nemner

Originally Posted by nemner View Post
.....VISA has pulled through for me with their purchase protection plan. Even though the Nokia warranty had expired, the credit card plan extended it for another year. Thus, I got the original purchase price of the N800 credited toward the purchase of an N810!..
TJ

Tags
jitter, n800, rolling, screen, scrolling