Maybe there's a difference between the N810 and the N800? My N800 is definitely extremely sensitive. At a certain pub I'm visiting I could see 22 networks, while the typical laptop wi-fi can see about 2. I could see the airport network at close to 2km away.

But there are some other sensitive competitors out there too. My new d-link dwa160 usb stick which came with a nice separate USB stand is quite sensitive too. I'm using it on my Linux laptop, and it's now possible to use it in areas where in the past I could only use my N800 (my older USB stick was way less sensitive).

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
When I was hospitalized a few years ago my laptop could not latch on to the hospital's wifi. My N800 could.

I think it's a testament to the awesome radio engineering talent Nokia hires.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I've found that in those cases where my N800 seems to have trouble connecting it isn't at all because of the signal sensitivity, it's almost always due to interference. E.g. multiple wi-fi access points too close together, or even using the same channel.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I've found that in those cases where my N800 seems to have trouble connecting it isn't at all because of the signal sensitivity, it's almost always due to interference. E.g. multiple wi-fi access points too close together, or even using the same channel.
After installing WiFiInfo on my N800 , I discoverd that I was using the same channel as my next door neighbor. I changed my channel and have no interference.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Now there's functionality that needs to migrate upstream IMO...

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
actually, it's often because of adjacent channel interference. if two APs and their clients can "see" each other on the same channel they will know when not to transmit. an AP on an adjacent channel can interfere but not be detected as a valid wifi signal.

since only channels 1, 6 and 11+ don't overlap and interfere, it's far too easy to have interference

this is why I got a simultaneous dual-band AP at home - netgear wndr3300, so that as many of my wireless clients as possible can use 802.11a and I haven't found a single competing AP on 11a band. shame the n900 didn't have 11a/n :-(

The Following User Says Thank You to speculatrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I've noticed that too. My N800 seems to catch on to networks that are far away. For instance, I've noticed that I could latch onto the Panera Wifi all the way over in the strip mall across the street from the Staples in another strip mall. These two stores are in malls completely across the street from each other and the N800 seems quite content with communicating with either of them even if I'm standing in the Staples (obviously, I'd find the Staples wifi faster if I'm standing in it--but if Staples is having issues with their free wifi, I have a fall back across the street).

I've had similar experience everywhere and I don't seem to have much of an issue connecting to pretty much any wifi with the N800. I'm certainly on the praise-N800 wifi bandwagon.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post: