Hi everyone,

My N800's power port has become very loose...the Nokia charger plug just wobbles around inside, as does my iGo adapter plug. It won't charge without me wiggling the plug around until it makes contact with the points inside the N800, and it usually will lose contact or just fall out once I set the N800 down.

I'm resigned to sending it off to Nokia to get it fixed. Has anyone gotten this problem fixed at Nokia, and if so, what did they quote for the repair?

Thanks,

slippy

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
I fixed it myself by pushing a tiny amount of foam with a pin behind the negative contact in the socket.
Beware: too much foam and it won't let the plug in, too little and it won't solve the problem. You could also break it, so try it only if you are sure you won't damage it more than it is now.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Ouch...Palco quoted me a price of $108, including shipping and handling.

I'm not happy about it, but I'm going to go ahead with the repair. It's a little bit cheaper than the going rate for used units on eBay, and at least I'll know it'll work. I didn't look into a trade-up credit from Nokia...whatever it is, it won't make a dent in the price of a new N900.

Luca, thanks for your suggestion...I looked at doing what you talked about, but I wasn't really confident I could do that fix without breaking the contact.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Well, if you could find the part (not an easy task) and a torx 6 screwdriver you could replace it yourself (there's no soldering involved).

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by slippy View Post
Ouch...Palco quoted me a price of $108, including shipping and handling.

I'm not happy about it, but I'm going to go ahead with the repair. It's a little bit cheaper than the going rate for used units on eBay, and at least I'll know it'll work. I didn't look into a trade-up credit from Nokia...whatever it is, it won't make a dent in the price of a new N900.

Luca, thanks for your suggestion...I looked at doing what you talked about, but I wasn't really confident I could do that fix without breaking the contact.
I, too, had a bad power jack. I ran my N800 on battery power for two months, then the screen went out. I payed $150 for a new N800. See this recent listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nokia-N800-Porta...d=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited by Den in USA; 2009-09-14 at 22:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Shoot, I've already given Palco the green light on the repair. I looked on eBay but didn't see that...guess I didn't look hard enough.

Oh well...they're saying 7-14 day turnaround with a 90-day warranty on the repair, so we'll see.

Tags
loose power plug, n800, repair