Active Topics

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Turin, Italy
I was thinking to write a simple application for Maemo 5 and I'd like to know your opinions about it.

My idea is to make a daemon (therefore no GUI) that should start with the phone and log its position every N minutes.
The position won't be stored in the phone, but sent to a server web (personal or public with account) and accessible through a web page.
Therefore if you lost the phone or someone stole it, you could trace its position and have it back.

What do you think about? Could it be a good idea?

ps: I'm an italian boy, therefore my English is full of mistakes... sorry!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HoX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Sounds like a good idea, although I worry a little about the effect on battery life of repeatedly accessing GPS and uploading the data.

I believe most thieves would turn the phone off and/or remove the SIM anyway, so it might not always work.

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Even if the thief removes/replaces the SIM, the device still has a unique MAC.

I daresay you could construct a conservative state-machine that would be easy on the power.

Power on
Wait for a TCP/IP network interface (eg. eth0) to activate
Report location
While eth0 active, report location every hour.
Power off

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Once every 23h would be good enough to be able to have every hours of the day covered over time without wasting battery!

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Slight modification, R-R

Report location upon network interface activation, then timeout 23hours.

That will cover all situations where no net access is available after 23 hours.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
I think that the best option (in terms of power saving at least) would be to upload the device coordinates and other data whenever a new SIM card is inserted. An SMS to a pre-defined number could be possibly used too. In case GPS coordinates cannot be acquired the device could just keep on trying if the SIM isn't a known one.

The event could also be triggered by a remote SMS (like remote locking on S60 devices) in case the device is simply lost and not stolen.

Last edited by hqh; 2009-10-08 at 16:16.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Welcome HoX!

I think miniGPSD has this function already. Also, at least Fennec will have geolocation APIs, so you could try and rip that out of their code.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
On a slightly related note (not meaning to slide off-topic); could you have a daemon reporting your IP to eg dyndns.org whenever a connection is established?
Edit: Never mind, found the answer (yes)

Slightly related to the topic perhaps, because with an ssh daemon as well, you could log in to your device and initiate tracking or whatever you liked to do (warning notifications and whatnot). You could then do it when you needed to, instead of doing it all the time/regularly.

Or does that fall apart if you (a thief) change the sim?

Last edited by nymajoak; 2009-10-08 at 19:43.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I remember a thread discussing security app for N800\N810 2 years ago with these exact features (and more) already..

I don't know what becomes of it, but it wouldn't hurt to unearth said thread if that's what you're interested in.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Turin, Italy
Originally Posted by nymajoak View Post
Slightly related to the topic perhaps, because with an ssh daemon as well, you could log in to your device and initiate tracking or whatever you liked to do (warning notifications and whatnot). You could then do it when you needed to, instead of doing it all the time/regularly.
This could be a solution, but I think that keeping the SSH connection always active will leak more memory and you'll have to be lucky in finding the device turned on

Originally Posted by Thesandlord
I think miniGPSD has this function already. Also, at least Fennec will have geolocation APIs, so you could try and rip that out of their code.
Thanks for the information... of course I will check them.