Posts: 94 | Thanked: 253 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Virginia
Its is very possible to run a minecraft server on the phone, I would not recommend using the official client.

I would instead port craftd or use a third party server

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by zdanee View Post
IMHO Minecraft as a game should be playable on an i486, it is just horribly unoptimized. An average Minecraft map is 128x128x128 that is 2MB uncompressed, I think Duke Nukem had bigger map sizes.
An average minecraft map is what? How far have you traveled, or when was the last time you played? Actually, what version of Minecraft are we discussing here? The free original version, or the current purchasable one?

In the current Minecraft, maps 'infinitely' generate (at one cube = one meter, you can travel more than the equivalent of the surface of the earth by several orders of magnitude before the game engine will start having issues.

An average minecraft 'chunk' is, if I recall correctly. 64x64x128, so 4 of those fit within what you called a map. A server will generate new terrain dynamically (derived from the seed you give the map) as you explore outside of the terrain generated so far. And then keep in RAM terrain within 10 'chunks' of the player (I don't know if that's circular, rectangular, or whatever).

Now, that's the default server and I suspect that stuff is configurable, of course, in most servers.

Of course, if you're talking about the classic Minecraft that's currently free-to-play, I have no clue what map size that thing has, though I do know the 'infinite' maps feature was added after classic Minecraft was detached from the current Minecraft.

- Edit -

Oh, right, OP: Awesome that you got it working. By "work on performance and stuff" how exactly is it performing now? Playable, or just completely lagfest-like?

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-11-22 at 02:36.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Belgium
Originally Posted by zdanee View Post
IMHO Minecraft as a game should be playable on an i486, it is just horribly unoptimized. An average Minecraft map is 128x128x128 that is 2MB uncompressed, I think Duke Nukem had bigger map sizes.
The minecraft world map is almost 2 MB when it's generated. But as soon as you start exploring and building it can quickly reach 6 or even 13MB.

But the size of the savefile has no importance.
The total size of minecraft (client) is just under 6MB but it uses almost 1GB of RAM.
It uses alot more recources tan Duke Nukem.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
And then keep in RAM terrain within 10 'chunks' of the player (I don't know if that's circular, rectangular, or whatever)
Its rectangular. Sometime if you wander around you suddenly see a big rectangular hole in the ground (should be fixed in the current versions) That was a chunk that feiled to load.

By "work on performance and stuff" how exactly is it performing now? Playable, or just completely lagfest-like?
I can run around
bluiding is no problem either. Though if i set a block, after approx 20 sec it dissapears but reapears a fraction of a second later.

Haven't been able to destroy a block yet. I guess it's because of the lag.
This is the only problem i got (so far)

could i run this better if i installed the power user kernel?

(stupid question.. let me rephrase)
Should i install the power user kernel to overclock this son of a b****?
or maybe someone with the powerkernel to test it?

And before i forget, i'm running the default server( 1.0.0 - it's finally out of beta)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bartcore3 For This Useful Post:
While Mentalist got point here, I also can't disagree, that minecraft is horribly unoptimized. Of course, comparing it to Duke Nuken is far too stretched, but - putting random numbers of course - I think that resource usage should be 3-4 times lower than current one.

I must admit - I'm not Minecraft player/fan, but I was interested in the project as curiosity (mainly, infinite world generator). For using on N900, i also strongly recommend trying (Open Source!) unofficial servers. Most of the time, what Minecraft offer officially, is worst version possible, compared to modified/rewritten ones. Basically, Minecraft created got "fame" of being hard-head one, not very cooperative on including ideas/optimizations/fixes by other people (thus, so many forks/rewrites).

I got strange feeling, that - using alternate servers - it's possible to host quite effective server on N900 Still, it's rather a curiosity. It's pity, that OpenGLES port isn't possible (for now).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Bump, check my posts it might help

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Yeah, I have never used Java on the N900 but I have IcedTea installed on both of mine (at least one for sure, if not on the other one than I need to fix that).

Both run powerkernel and the non-phone one is overclocked, so I COULD test for you. Honestly though, I'm pretty confident CPU speed isn't the bottleneck - the RAM probably is. But I'm willing to experiment. I'd need instructions though, as I'm much too lazy and time pressed to do the actual thinking involved. :P

Oh, and I by no means wished to disagree with the idea that Minecraft is unoptimized - just being Java seems to me to be inherently inefficient. But I'm sure there's serious memory flaws here or there.

Either way, definitely better to install a lighter server. If you can't break blocks you'd probably die horribly in multiplayer survival mode, since even on an otherwise almost completely lagless server, I find killing creepers in melee combat is impossible without them blowing up in your face - where-as it's extremely easy in singleplayer survival.

Why not just give Minetest a try? On a 5yr old laptop it outpreforms minecraft by twice the speed. It plays like Minecraft's creative mode and has a multiplayer mode also. So instead of porting the heavyweight Minecraft, have a go a porting Minetest-c55, though irrlicht(?) 1.7 is required to be ported.

If you can't break blocks you'd probably die horribly in multiplayer survival mode, since even on an otherwise almost completely lagless server, I find killing creepers in melee combat is impossible without them blowing up in your face - where-as it's extremely easy in singleplayer survival.
Well i have to tell you, i didn't even dare to turm on the mobs yet
i turned of all mobs because they use memory to..

I'm in class for the moment and i'm pretty loaded with lots of homework so i won't be able to work on it every day, but my next "objective" is to find a lightweight server to run on the N900..

i'll try to describe how i did it later today so others can test it.

Oh and there is one more thing i'dd like to tell you guys.
i'm not a developper or crazy man. I'm just a guy with basic linux, windows knowledge so don't expect miracles from my side

The Following User Says Thank You to Bartcore3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by Bartcore3 View Post
The minecraft world map is almost 2 MB when it's generated. But as soon as you start exploring and building it can quickly reach 6 or even 13MB.

But the size of the savefile has no importance.
The total size of minecraft (client) is just under 6MB but it uses almost 1GB of RAM.
It uses alot more recources tan Duke Nukem.
Calculated the 128^3 size from the 2MB map size. I myself rarely play minecraft (because it is highly addictive and I have a life to live ), so yes, I was talking about something I don't know about. I know however, that in 1996 the TES: Daggerfall was a full 3D game with an explorable area greater than the UK, running on an Pentium with barely 40MB of RAM, so IMHO Minecraft with its graphics so close to the '90s games should be able to pull the same trick.
I think the main problem with Minecraft is the fact that it is written in JAVA. I imagine (again I don't know for sure) that each block is an object w private data of its position, orientation, texture, whatever, so it is waaay more than 1byte / block, hence the big memory consumption. Also, easy to write the code, but horrible to render the graphics. Last time I checked JAVA was awful with memory handling. I also guess that there is no 3D-acceleration in the game. Fact is that my Core i5 machine while does not lag, uses 100% CPU while running the free beta, that should never happen with a game. A C++ rewrite and the use of 3D accelerators should make this game run smooth on any machine.
So again, I admit I'm not the hardcore Minecraft fan, but given what I see this is the problem with the game and is why I said it should run on an i486.

in addition to what you said:
Daggerfall had a premade map where-as minecraft renders random maps itself.. But once they'r created it should use less RAM, i agree on that.