@reinob: nice info for beginers. one important note: /opt (which is basicly part of / rootfs) is stored on "disk 2", so flashing only eMMC/VANILLA will make maemo5 broken.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Pali, apt-get updare/upgrade doesn't give any kp52-related update feedback. I use cssu thumb (latest) and kernel 51r1

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Meran, Italy
@pali: thanks again, yes I'm using the fanoush thing as you mentioned, so in theory KP52 should be correctly managed!

@reinob: great explanation! Now everything is much clearer; I have few questions though:

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
*** Flashing

Your N900 has various partitions. For all practical matters you have:

disk 1:
partition 1: kernel
partition 2: root file system (/)
(NOLO and other partitions are also there, but you don't care).

disk 2:
partition 1: /home
partition 2: Mydocs
(swap is also there but you don't care)
Where is mounted partition 1? Is it in /boot ? And, how large is it, and which is his device (/dev/...)? Is it still an ubifs?

If you flash the ROOTFS aka FIASCO aka COMBINED image you are basically replacing "disk 1", i.e. you get the stock kernel and a new root file system. Your /home and your Mydocs are not touched.
How can be flashed the only first partition of disk 1?

I hope this makes everything a bit clearer!
Definitely you made it much clearer!

Thanks
pkz

PS: could this explanation become a short tutorial in a wiki page?

Last edited by pkz; 2013-04-11 at 20:16. Reason: Typos corrections...

The Following User Says Thank You to pkz For This Useful Post:
in above very very simple example "disk 1" is internal onenand memory. you can see layout of it in file /proc/mtd

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
I don't have multi-boot , uboot or nitroidon on my N900, so can I assume that upgrading to KP52 should have less problem?

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Basically, the boot process is as follows:

1. *NOLO* is the boot loader, which loads whatever kernel is installed in the kernel partition.

2. *kernel* loads and runs whatever it's been given as an init parameter. standard (on Maemo) is /sbin/preinit

3. *preinit* intializes various stuff about your N900 and then runs init (upstart)

4. *upstart* starts system services, X11 and the desktop.

*** U-Boot

Now if you install U-Boot it replaces *kernel*, so that NOLO passes control to U-Boot, which itself loads a kernel. If that kernel is a Maemo kernel (stock, power kernel), then that kernel loads preinit, etc.

Meaning: U-Boot replaces step 2, but the kernel loaded by U-Boot normally (if Maemo) jumps to step 3, so all is OK.

*** Bootmenu

Bootmenu is run by preinit, so that it runs between steps 3 and 4, let's call it 3.5. It is thus entirely independent of U-Boot and whatever kernel you have.

*** Backupmenu

Backupmenu is like Bootmenu. It is actually (normally) run from Bootmenu, so it kind of replaces step 4.

*** Multiboot

Multiboot replaces /sbin/preinit (step 3), so that it shows a menu similar to Bootmenu. The trick here is that when you select a kernel, it FLASHES that kernel, so that your selected kernel replaces STEP 2.

If you remember a few lines ago U-Boot ALSO REPLACES THE KERNEL.

If you do the math you'll notice that if you have U-Boot *and* Multiboot the next time you select a kernel in Multiboot it will replace U-Boot, so U-Boot is gone completely from your device. This is a common problem amongst the people who (still) don't know how the N900 and Maemo work.

*** Flashing

Your N900 has various partitions. For all practical matters you have:

disk 1:
partition 1: kernel
partition 2: root file system (/)
(NOLO and other partitions are also there, but you don't care).

disk 2:
partition 1: /home
partition 2: Mydocs
(swap is also there but you don't care)

If you flash the ROOTFS aka FIASCO aka COMBINED image you are basically replacing "disk 1", i.e. you get the stock kernel and a new root file system. Your /home and your Mydocs are not touched.

If you flash the eMMC aka VANILLA you get a new /home and Mydocs.

* NOTE (added after Pali's comment -- Thanks)
/opt is a symlink to /home/opt, meaning that if you flash the eMMC/VANILLA image *only* your /opt folder will be empty, which will likely make Maemo unbootable.

(actually should not happen, unless something actually requires /opt to be there. But yes, knowing Maemo, there is 100% something critical-essential stored in /opt).

Note that you can choose to only flash the kernel (i.e. without touching the rootfs). This is a way of e.g. fixing a fvcked up U-boot configuration.

Wonderful explanation, this should be copy-pasted in every opening thread about Fremantle.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Basically,

<snip>

Wonderful tutorial, reinob! I wish someone had written up something like that 6 months ago! It had taken me a few months (and a lot of sweat trying to rescue a bricked device ) to gather that info from random scraps here and there and/or to figure it out myself.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
Guys quick question what is the command for kernel power 51 to install like apt-get install kernel.....

Ive forgotten and its not in the ham list under devel for some reason?

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by lucas777 View Post
Guys quick question what is the command for kernel power 51 to install like apt-get install kernel.....

Ive forgotten and its not in the ham list under devel for some reason?
# apt-get install kernel-power-flasher

if you really want v51, I'd do it using dpkg. Otherwise something like:

# apt-get install kernel-power-flasher=1:2.6.28-10power51

should do the trick.

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
# apt-get install kernel-power-flasher

if you really want v51, I'd do it using dpkg. Otherwise something like:

# apt-get install kernel-power-flasher=1:2.6.28-10power51

should do the trick.
Shouldn't it be 1:2.6.28-10power51r1? Wasn't v51 somehow broken?

Tags
bq2415x_charger, bq27200, kernel-power