Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
good morning everyone!

The coding competition got two donations over night.
kojackers 50 bucks and another 20 bucks from another member, please let me know if I may make your nickname public.
So in total we have already $70!
I think that is awesome!

Thank you so much for your support!

BTW. It annoys me the hell, that the chipin page isn't updated. I'll look into it.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Okay, I think I've found the problem:
I have to accept the payments in my PayPal account so that chipin can update the widget.
The problem is PayPal wants to get some payment fees.
For example we would get $47,75 instead of $50,00.
That's not good.
It seems that these payments are not marked as a donation.
I would like to send back the money. And create a new button which is donation and not payment.
What do you think?
Any news from the official maemo.org paypal account?

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Lagos, Nigeria
Well then. Finally an incentive to get me started on N900 development. I'm in!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shockr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Subotica, Serbia
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
With amazing prizes like a paid trip to the Meego conference as well as a cash prize of undetermined value, I think this should be taken to the next level. Developers even mildly interested in looking into the Meego platform can develop QT apps which will work on Maemo 5 and be able to work in Meego and Symbian 3. This competition could be promoted on Symbian forums as well as the Meego forum.
I think by extending this competition to MeeGo and Symbian we would limit the programing languages we can use.
I like to program in python and as I'm aware PyQt/PySide is community suported on Maemo. We can't be sure what will be the situation with MeeGo or Symbian. Probably someone will port them there, but there's no guarantee. For now if we want to be sure an app will work on those two, we have to use c++ and Qt.
Maybe I missed something and there's some information that PyQt/PySide will work on MeeGo and Symbian. Would be thankful if someone could point me in that direction.

The Following User Says Thank You to mmlado For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I’m fairly certain both PyQt/PyQt will be available for MeeGo once it gets to the phase where it makes sense to compile things for MeeGo (i.e. public community development with OBS, ready UXes, etc). As for Symbian, no idea, I don’t know Symbian well enough to guarantee there will be a PyQt port and PySide is still looking for more stability before is spreads to multiple platforms.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mmlado View Post
I think by extending this competition to MeeGo and Symbian we would limit the programing languages we can use.
I like to program in python and as I'm aware PyQt/PySide is community suported on Maemo. We can't be sure what will be the situation with MeeGo or Symbian..
I think you've got mixed up somewhere

Nobody is extending this competition to MeeGo and Symbian, this is a n900 coding competition.. period, the entered projects must be able to run on the n900 handset. (I think someone mentioned advertising the competition on the Symbian forums, maybe that's where that came from.)

You have a choice of development languages/tools, and python based apps are most definitely welcome! I'll be writing a PyQT app of my own

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-05-22 at 10:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
As per http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=627494, please anyone feel free to use http://www.whereismydevice.com for their application

The Following User Says Thank You to benh_n900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Leicester,UK
can someone just write a short guide of how to start coding,what downloads we will need and some tips?

The Following User Says Thank You to ashyk36 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ashyk36 View Post
can someone just write a short guide of how to start coding,what downloads we will need and some tips?
You don't mention a language, but if you are a beginner then, imo, python is the way to go. If you follow this tutorial thread you'll be up and running in no time http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43663. There are also some great links in here.

Edit: Added small beginner section to first post, pm'd mod to change title to reflect new end date (July 21st)

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-05-22 at 10:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Excellent idea. Donated to it at this moment.

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

The Following User Says Thank You to RenegadeFanboy For This Useful Post: