as it is in beta, the handwriting recognizing still needs work. the concept is great though!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i need to remind myself that percentage recognition is more often the exception then the norm..

and that "tap number to correct" was exactly easy to discover...

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Where's pi?

As in "pi are squared"?
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Freakin' sweet. I like this. (And docs would be nice -- I hadn't figured out yet the greyed numbers thingy ....)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Fun. Fun to play with. You can even draw a bear and see how it tries to interpret its ears as numbers.

OTOH, it shows the inherent limitations of the technology... It's exciting for geeks, but those who need a calculator for productive work already have a result on a "normal" one (touch buttons, real ones or buttons on a touch screen) while I'm still drawing the lines to complete the first "4"

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Maybe the purpose of this "labs" project isn't so much to produce a touch calculator, as to produce a utility program that works identically on S60, Maemo and MS-Windows. I guess we'll be seeing a lot more of that from Nokia in the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Anyone else get the email from Nokia Beta Labs...

----------------
Dear Sir/Madam:

Thank you for your continuous attention to our applications. We are very glad to announce the release of our updated version of handwriting calculator (S60) on Nokia Beta Lab. The web address is http://betalabs.nokia.com/betas/view...ing-calculator.

One main improvement is the supporting of some scientific functions, like sin, cos, tan, ln and etc. Users need to press the function buttons at the top of the screen and then drag the function symbol to an appropriate position. Direct writing those function symbols are not supported in this version. Another improvement is the supporting of the 2 math constants 'e' and pi which users can write directly. From the application point, we got a new designed application icon and help system. The email feedback feature is cancelled in this version. We will enable it in future.

We are informed that more than 130,000 views and 35,000 downloads as of handwriting calculator launched in Nokia Beta-Lab, this is really an inspiring news! Now, we have already received more than 1400 feedbacks, some are comments and some are writing samples. The feedbacks are analyzed and used to provide the updated version. Now, we have done it, and we would march on and try to provide better applications. Please look forward to our new updated versions. Thank you!

Best Wishes,

Multimodal & multimedia user interface team, Nokia Research Center, Beijing
---------------------

Does this mean only the S60 version is going to be updated, or its the only updated version for now. It'd be nice if they continued developing for maemo.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
i didnt receive the mail, but i follow
http://betalabs.nokia.com/blog/
and they also wote "...has just been updated for S60 5th Edition" there. it doesnt look like there's a new maemo version.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
This might not be the fastest way to use a calculator but there is a certain undefinable appeal to it.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by verumgero View Post
This might not be the fastest way to use a calculator but there is a certain undefinable appeal to it.
I believe it would be way better and useful if they somehow managed to put in a few functions, like numerical integration or differentiation, or even advanced or symbolic algebra. I still spend most of the time looking for the right key to press on a traditional advanced calculator.

Last edited by javispedro; 2009-04-14 at 13:55.