Notices

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
I've just finished a new version (0.2.0) of Conboy the note taking application (or desktop wiki). It aims to be fully compatible with Tomboy.

New in this release:
  • Reading, writing and displaying of all Tomboy notes is now possible
  • Added support for UTF-8 reading and writing
  • Added a nice menu
  • Added keyboard shortcuts
  • On startup the last edited note is shown automatically
  • The list of all notes is now sorted by change date
  • Many internal refactoring

The files can be found here. It should also be available via extras-devel soon. ATM only diablo is supported, but I'll try to compile it on chinook and fremantle soon too.

It is still early beta software, especially editing bullet list is still flaky... Still, if you use Tomboy on your desktop, give it a try and copy all your *.note files to .conboy on the tablet and restart Conboy. With my 60 test notes it worked without problems. I'm very interested in some feedback on that.

BTW: Tomboy (not Conboy) is available for Linux, Mac and Windows. There is also a android port called Tomdroid.

I intent to use this thread from now on to announce all new releases. The initial release thread can be found here.
Attached Images

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to conny For This Useful Post:
It's now in extras-devel and working - at least for me...

Very nice. Looking foward to fullscreen and undo. I've really been in love with the whole desktop wiki thing. I've been using vim, but this looks like it could be a replacement... there's really no other way to easily organize a large number of files, and to talk about files and their relationship to each other. I hope they come up with an operating system, someday, where it's possible to draw or write on the file explorer window, because it's really ridiculous having to describe a files with a name, an extension, and the position. Forget the syupid physical metaphors (microsoft surface, 3d desktops, piles, etc), give me an editable surface any day.

The Following User Says Thank You to q335r49 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Upgraded from 0.1. No problems so far.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson L. Squeeko For This Useful Post:
Thanks for testing it guys
Fullscreen support is easy to implement, I just have to decided if after pushing the fullscreen button all Conboy windows are fullscreen or only the one which is currently active. What do you think?
The support for undo will probably take a bit longer as it is not completely trivial

For the next version I'm planing:
  • Complete editing of nested bullet lists
  • Clean up the UI
  • Automatic link creation while typing
And of course the fullscreen support, once the decision is made how it should work...

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by conny View Post
Fullscreen support is easy to implement, I just have to decided if after pushing the fullscreen button all Conboy windows are fullscreen or only the one which is currently active.
all windows. this is the expected behaviour because the stock applications do it that way. (try with the browser)
this made me think of the fullscreen button as an "application fullscreen" button rather than a "window fullscreen" one. a different behaviour would be confusing i guess.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Upgraded, all notes still there. Only annoyance I have, personally, is that the options in the menu aren't 'connected' to their toolbar equivs. i.e. selecting bullets from the menu won't 'press in' the bullets option on the toolbar.

Overall, though, it is a brilliant app and works reliably. Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
re: Fullscreen switching

Application full screen sounds better than individual window fullscreen

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
all windows. this is the expected behaviour because the stock applications do it that way. (try with the browser)
this made me think of the fullscreen button as an "application fullscreen" button rather than a "window fullscreen" one. a different behaviour would be confusing i guess.
Thanks, I think you're right! I just rechecked with the browser and I think this behavior is easy to implement. The only annoying thing is, that when you go to fullscreen and then change to a different window of the same app for the first time, there is some flicker because the window is first shown normal before also switched to fullscreen.
I was hoping to somehow avoid this. E.g. by switching all windows to fullscreen at the same time. But probably it will create even more flicker... Well, I'll try tomorrow, then we'll see

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Upgraded, all notes still there. Only annoyance I have, personally, is that the options in the menu aren't 'connected' to their toolbar equivs. i.e. selecting bullets from the menu won't 'press in' the bullets option on the toolbar.

Overall, though, it is a brilliant app and works reliably. Thanks!
Glad to hear that your notes survived and that you like the app Always good to get some feedback... About the toolbar-menubar connection: You found a bug They are connected, but the state is only updated after the cursor is moved. I'll change that now. Thanks for reporting!

The Following User Says Thank You to conny For This Useful Post:

Tags
conboy, grauphel