Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
Personally I define a hacker as a creative and enthusiastic developer. IMO the MeeGo DE is primarily aimed for those guys.

While regular users are free to try it, I don't think it will suit their needs since it will not include proprietary media codecs and other things regular end users expect in their devices.
There is a chance, though we don't know yet. That a N900 MeeGo DE release could contain some closed components from Harmatten/N950, but don't get your hopes up.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
Personally I define a hacker as a creative and enthusiastic developer. IMO the MeeGo DE is primarily aimed for those guys.

While regular users are free to try it, I don't think it will suit their needs since it will not include proprietary media codecs and other things regular end users expect in their devices.
The good news is that at least DSP codecs are bloody easy to install. And with the creativity of this community, I'm sure someone will provide an installer..
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
There is a chance, though we don't know yet. That a N900 MeeGo DE release could contain some closed components from Harmatten/N950, but don't get your hopes up.
We can always hope

Then again its Nokia, chances of them doing anything nice like that for us are kinda remote

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Florida
Does this mean the N900 will become something like the nexus one? Also will Sygic Mobile Maps work on Meego? I get lost way too much and my phone needs nav on it.

Last edited by trojanami; 2011-03-06 at 14:22.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ India
Originally Posted by trojanami View Post
Does this mean the N900 will become something like the nexus one? Also will Sygic Mobile Maps work on Meego? I get lost way too much and my phone needs nav on it.
yes ofcourse its going on a way like nexus one and yes i think that just nokia is making MEEGO DE for its upcoming handset N950 and they are willing to test it on our n900 and i expect the specifications to be same a our beloved N900. Till this device will be out at the year end many of our developers will have many applications for use on meego so nokia will has played a game with us. its making people work for free as giving n900 a meego de editions and making profits its self. As there will be many applications for meego people will buy meego handset and nokia will be on track again.
If i am wrong please do correct me. i dont want to hurt anyone's feeling. I do Love my n900.

The Following User Says Thank You to jinnn_1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by jinnn_1989 View Post
yes ofcourse its going on a way like nexus one and yes i think that just nokia is making MEEGO DE for its upcoming handset N950 and they are willing to test it on our n900 and i expect the specifications to be same a our beloved N900. Till this device will be out at the year end many of our developers will have many applications for use on meego so nokia will has played a game with us. its making people work for free as giving n900 a meego de editions and making profits its self. As there will be many applications for meego people will buy meego handset and nokia will be on track again.
If i am wrong please do correct me. i dont want to hurt anyone's feeling. I do Love my n900.
Makes sense. Though cannot help but think Elop saying that they would give out the 1st Meego device to devs means Nokia giving out whatever N900s they have left flashed with Meego DE.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
We already have Maemo 5 on N900 now.

What we want now is more attractive apps.

What is the meaning for MeeGo DE running on an N900 ?

Just another unstable RPM-package management open-source crap ?

Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post

That, or just another option for people who are looking to the future where there won't be any maemo devices but will be a lot of meego devices, and making apps so that you will have them then instead of still whining abo9ut unattractive apps?

Or for people who want a more open-source system.

Or for people who are fed up with tearing and want proper vsync support.

Or for people who just want to piss you off by running a different OS.

BTW. normally we would force you to install this to your N900, but since you protest so loud, we'll make an exception this once and let you decide what you want to run. So if you don't like it, don't install it (just cause we're that nice).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post

I think this is short sighted. Maemo is a dead end, from the development point of view. The CSSU people are doing a great work, but the core packages are not going to change.

A MeeGo distribution, instead, would mean modern base packages, and an upgrade path -- hopefully an upgrade every six months...

And applications may not be the best in the class from the start -- I don't know, but open source means improvement need not come from the vendor.

If the device keeps being useful for its core functions, and has an upgrade path, I would not ask for anything else. Ultimately, it will be in the community hands.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mikelima View Post
I think this is short sighted. Maemo is a dead end, from the development point of view. The CSSU people are doing a great work, but the core packages are not going to change.
Well, the one that you should care about - Qt and Mobility - will be updated one way or the other, and on that level, Maemo and MeeGo APIs are identical. And indeed - from a development standpoint (with the notable exception of OBS) the difference between Maemo and MeeGo is a lot smaller than it is for end-users.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Tags
best thread yet, meegohorny, nokia rox, stupid guys say, we want bada