Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
that rumored NIT ain't a NIT, it's a maemo cellphone.
I second that. And another phone (besides my compulsory work phone) is what I was hoping the n900 would allow me to get rid of

Since the toshiba resolution is easily divided by 3, I think they are talking sub pixels. Ie each red green and blue dot are counted as a pixel. In honest people talk, this would give it a resolution of 320x480. nothing special.

The Following User Says Thank You to smackpotato For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I was just wondering about those resolution numbers, myself. That's an awfully small screen to have 960x480 pixels on it. If those numbers are true, it has 20% more horizontal resolution than the Maemo devices... talk about dense dpi...

EDIT: "Toshiba Biblio e-reader handled, deemed extremely small" ... that's 960x480? Really?

Last edited by qole; 2009-06-08 at 17:09.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Unless they use non-square pixels, it can't be 320x480 (that's 3:2 aspect ratio, which the device clearly isn't). 480x960 is in line with the display's proportions. Here's a closeup of the screen, the resolution seems fairly smooth, 2:1 aspect ratio, no sign of discoloration caused by subpixel rendering. While the picture is not perfectly in focus so I cannot judge the exact resolution it certainly seems more to me than triple-up math.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yes, and this pic seems to suggest that the resolution is pretty high, too.

Guess number 2. Its a grayscale display. from looking at the provided pictures, it appears to be grayscale. Maybe its e-ink . The included article compares it to the kindle

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Can't be, walks like a TFT, quacks like a TFT (backlight, color of turned off display)... Also, the image qole linked to clearly shows color.

But, why stop at the biblio, the crafty Japanese also made the Fujitsu F03A which packs the same resolution into 3.2". Or the Sharp 931SH with a brutal 1024x480 / 3.8" screen. I don't know who manufactures the eye-implants required to see all the pixels on these babies...