Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy View Post
I now see that you are far more important than I, in which case maybe worrying that someone will take a mold of your finger to access your phone is warranted.
But it doesn't matter how important you are. You can be made important. Likewise, it doesn't matter how important the information on your device is, it can be made important.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
But it doesn't matter how important you are. You can be made important. Likewise, it doesn't matter how important the information on your device is, it can be made important.
Listen, I totally understand the argument. If someone had access to my email or text messages, they could certainly makes some waves. And sure, If someone wanted to post as me on this forum, I wouldn't be stoked about it. Point is, my accounts can be hacked in a number of ways not having anything to do with my phone.

I was simply saying that the chances of someone taking a mold of my finger to get access to what I have on my phone is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. For some of you, maybe it is less far fetched. Maybe you are blackmail-able. Maybe you have access to money and power. Maybe your lives are on your phone.

For me, a skimmer on a credit card reader at a gas pump, or an ebay seller taking advantage, or someone breaking into my car are far more realistic concerns. In my life, if someone got access to my phone, it would be to sell it, not post something from my Twitter account.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
LMaybe you are blackmail-able. Maybe you have access to money and power. Maybe your lives are on your phone.
or maybe you work at some place, that some people might find interesting
or maybe you know some people, that some people might find interesting

PS and if and when it happens, you won't even know of it

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Just a small wake-up call, I received an email yesterday with one of my throwaway passwords in the subject. It said, "I am aware that this is your password, pay me $lots in bitcoin or I will do some nasty things". I have not used that password for a long time and do not know which website was hacked to get hold of it. It's just a good reminder to never drop guard on security.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
I feel like there are two different conversations going on at the same time. I am VERY aware of the security weaknesses of the world we live in and the dangers that follow. I do not take the possibilities lightly.

The conversation being had (by me) was, on a cell phone, is a fingerprint reader adequate security, or do we have to fear people taking molds of our fingers to gain access.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Jan 2018 @ Netherlands
I feel like there are two different conversations going on at the same time. I am VERY aware of the security weaknesses of the world we live in and the dangers that follow. I do not take the possibilities lightly.

The conversation being had (by me) was, on a cell phone, is a fingerprint reader adequate security, or do we have to fear people taking molds of our fingers to gain access.
Ur nickname suits the off topic conversation,lol

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aQUICK1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
I'm with imaginaryenemy on this rambling discussion.

Security on cell phones has so far always been a compromise between convenience and the strength of security.

And only you, for your own usecase, know how to balance the two.

I've seen people go through the most ridiculous hurdles to secure the most irrelevant things. Because "security".

I've seen people disregarding security for convenience even as it opens holes for quite sensitive data.

Myself, I couldn't be arsed to fiddle with that pin code everytime i unlock my phone. Because I do it hundreds of times per day. Nor with the cumbersome fingerprint scanner of current Sailfish X (I tried). The data I have on my phone is not in importance proportional to the inconvenience and time lost I'd suffer daily, hundreds of times.

For many others this is not the case. They have data that needs to be protected better.

And each one of us knows the balance for themselves best, where the line between convenience and security lies.

The truth of the matter is of course, that much more people do not have the knowledge to make an educated decision on this. But that's besides the point on this forum, as I think most of the participants here are well enough versed on the topic.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Again, I was solely speaking for myself. I have no worries about people getting access to my phone (or accounts connected to my phone).

I now see that you are far more important than I, in which case maybe worrying that someone will take a mold of your finger to access your phone is warranted.
LOL you g People Who livets in free countries does not care if someone steal or log your account.

You May think differential in som years when you realize how stupid that was to not care.

I mean look around the world populist leadeers makes dictators rule then People like you will loose since you did not care. The only I can say:you are not alone puttning The head in The sand. /facepalm

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Gave away my newly bought Samsung S8 and will use xPhone for my secondary sim. Anything new when it comes to services or apps?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
I was somewhat expecting for Jolla to release the 2.2.1 today as they were asking for strings to be translated by 11th of July. Seems like they might have hit some delays along the line as 2.2.1 is most likely the last update before 3.0 and had to get all the packages prepared for 3.0 update.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x