Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
criminy!
there is no way I could to aspire to such heights...(or is it depths?) as the illustrious Dave999
There is only one Dave999

Although...
I am waiting for his alter ego to show up at the forum..
His nemesis ...
then...it should get interesting...
Guy will be pretty obvious...
Bet his username will be something like 666Evad..

wow Fellfrosch...
well...you DO realize it is Dave you are referring to right?
Dave still has some unresolved Jolla-angst he needs to work out..
Let him vent...
I believe that his "rant" wasn't quite a full-blown Dave rant...
It was more on the "two-sock-puppets-arguing-with-each-other" dialogue ...in a humorous way...kind of venting..
Not really ranting...
(even though Dave himself mentions ranting...)
when Dave is full-blown upset...
and just making his point come across...
there is no humor.
In this case specific, I don't think any should feel offended or upset with Dave's words. I would consider it a humorous interlude in thread conversation.
When he involves no humor in his post at all.
Then most certainly he is serious-serious.

Most definitely Dave is suffering from the embarrassing affliction known as "Project Itch" ..
contracted by intimate contact...most likely with Jolla...
the problem with "Project Itch" as bad as Dave's ...
Is that even the slightest contact with a potentially successful project can cause sudden unexpected flare-ups...
and the potential for spontaneous combustion..

I suggest Gold Bond Friction Defense...

https://www.sheswanderful.com/wp-con...ng-480x480.jpg
Man, stop trying to be me

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2018-07-30 at 13:19.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
You might. I don’t. I don’t really care of specs, design and what not at all atm. All that is completely irrelevant to me currently. Do we even have a project? How is he planning to bring this to the market? Do he have it worked out or do he plan to prototype this and after that looking for support?

I’m not saying chen shall disclose it. But that is something that is more important than technical issues and specs so what’s you thought about that?
Well if you ask me:
It's up to him, if he want to share those details or not. He doesn't owe me ANY information, even though I'm looking forward to any Information he gives.

But reading your posts, it seems, his biggest mistake was, that he shared his plans in this forum at all.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Well if you ask me:
It's up to him, if he want to share those details or not. He doesn't owe me ANY information, even though I'm looking forward to any Information he gives.

But reading your posts, it seems, his biggest mistake was, that he shared his plans in this forum at all.
It could be. Depends on your position. I’m not talking about chen. Since it’s no crowdfund he has absolutely no obligation to to share more than he wants.

I’m talking about your views. You think it’s better do develop this in secret without sharing anything?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by deutch1976 View Post
Even if it goes wrong he (Chen) has done much more than anyone else
OK now I just have to nitpick...
There are numerous people here who have released both nice SW and HW, so I'd like you to be a bit more specific.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
OK now I just have to nitpick...
There are numerous people here who have released both nice SW and HW, so I'd like you to be a bit more specific.
I don't need to be more specific than this

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
You might. I don’t. I don’t really care of specs, design and what not at all atm. All that is completely irrelevant to me currently. Do we even have a project? How is he planning to bring this to the market? Do he have it worked out or do he plan to prototype this and after that looking for support?

I’m not saying chen shall disclose it. But that is something that is more important than technical issues and specs so what’s you thought about that?
You are right that we do not have this information, but your message was suggesting that the statement that Chen "is trying" could be questioned. I don't think we need to look into the books of the company or their development and marketing strategies to tell whether or not they are trying to reach the goal, that is all.

Chen is regularly telling that this task has not been abandoned and that progress is currently being done, he initially polled the community in this thread to check the demand, came up with hardware ideas and shared mock-ups of the theoretical device. Now, he stated that the prototyping stage has started, and he has confirmed/altered some of the initial specs in his later messages. If that is not a project, then I don't know when a project can claim being a project.

One can of course doubt the very premise that Chen is telling the truth, but since he is a famous 10-year member of our community, who on top of that has succeeded producing his previous keyboard mod, the least we could do is to spare him skepticism about his honesty. Especially as he is not even asking money to develop the product he wants to show us. Chen doesn't need anyone to defend himself, but come on, our fragile community should be more welcoming when someone is willing to invest time, sweat and capital into something we want. I would not find a great motivation into doing so if that kind of ambition is rewarded with skepticism and ranting from the community itself.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-07-30 at 14:18.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Chen has been a busy guy...
And has done some good stuff...
But I beg to differ on the whole "more than anyone" line...
There are a good number of guys long gone who have done quite a bit...
And it will take years and years and years more for Chen to stack up the accolades to go toe to toe with their accomplishments ...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
You are right that we do not have this information, but your message was suggesting that the statement that Chen "is trying" could be questioned. I don't think we need to look into the books of the company or their development and marketing strategies to tell whether or not they are trying to reach the goal, that is all.

Chen is regularly telling that this task has not been abandoned and that progress is currently being done, he initially polled the community in this thread to check the demand, came up with hardware ideas and shared mock-ups of the theoretical device. Now, he stated that the prototyping stage has started, and he has confirmed/altered some of the initial specs in his later messages. If that is not a project, then I don't know when a project can claim being a project.

One can of course doubt the very premise that Chen is telling the truth, but since he is a famous 10-year member of our community, who on top of that has succeeded producing his previous keyboard mod, the least we could do is to spare him skepticism about his honesty. Especially as he is not even asking money to develop the product he wants to show us. Chen doesn't need anyone to defend himself, but come on, our fragile community should be more welcoming when someone is willing to invest time, sweat and capital into something we want. I would not find a great motivation into doing so if that kind of ambition is rewarded with skepticism and ranting from the community itself.
Yes, and we are here supporting him. What is the issue? Waiting for information whenever it’s available. Could it be that you have misread the thread? To me atleast it’s obvious that all are hoping that chen will succeed.

Last edited by Dave999; 2018-07-30 at 15:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
But reading your posts, it seems, [Chen's] biggest mistake was, that he shared his plans in this forum at all.
Now you are just being facetious. Like a teenager who has been told off for leaving dirty bits on washed dishes and exclaiming, "alright then, next time I won't wash anything!"

I, personally, agree that Chen is under no obligation but he certainly is not managing expectations very well. "I am doing something and it will be absolutely fantastic" is a very bad way of handling it, simply because if whatever comes out at the end is even a smidgen below someone's idea of "absolutely fantastic", he will get the flak for failing to deliver on promises.

There are only two ways of handling it properly. Either keep quiet and surprise everyone with a ready product or keep the development absolutely open. Black or white. Gray is an invitation to speculations. I hasten to add that speculations are not Chen's fault but if there is something he can do to prevent them, then why not.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Not to stray into the realm of speculation...

But I know what is going on...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen