Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
They warned us about PR1.2 leaked and the warnings turned out to be total BS.
Incorrect. Some warnings were bs, some were totally valid.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Move along people. Nothing to see here.
Got to play with the leaked FW (Not on my device, I hacked so much around I forgot what I did ), and there's nothing worth rushing for

What is this file RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin

Is this the full pr1.2 ?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
The only way to brick an N900 is by damaging hardware...
I'm with you except for this. NOLO is software that should be approached with extreme caution. An N900 recoverable only via JTAG is effectively bricked for most people.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I'm with you except for this. NOLO is software that should be approached with extreme caution. An N900 recoverable only via JTAG is effectively bricked for most people.
Does this image change the loader? Has anyone confirmed if the alternate bootload stuff is in the W36 image?

One thing that does confuse me though: If you use the "hold u while booting" technique, doesn't that allow you to reflash the loader as well? I though the whole point of having the hardware shortcut was to force the load from ROM, which (while a set/old version) can always flash the entire device, loader included.

This was one of the nice bits built into the second gen of the Neo FreeRunner (vs the 1973). If you held a hardware key down at startup it would boot completely from ROM, allowing you to always recover from a bad software load, since there was no way to over-write the ROM code. The ROM version had speed issues (only negotiated USB 1), but it was a safe fallback if one needed it because they hosed the loader in NAND.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
I'm not trying to be picky since I'm not really experienced in this low level flashing stuff, but I thought the N900 didn't have a JTAG port (or it had some sort of serial port that no one knows what it is)?

Eitherway, your point is valid

And @ other posts on this forum, stop spreading ********, the image does not contain the latest git sources, my modest and hildon-desktop are both newer than the one in the image, bme is identical to the one in PR1.2, newer images != newer everything.

Since this image has gone public (sorta) on tmo, I hope you'll do something useful with it instead of ***** about how it doesn't contain features; for instance, find bugs, search the bugtracker, see if they were fixed or if more bugs were introduced; take for example Qt 4.7, QTextBrowser shows black text on a black background, which is a critical bug imo (same code works fine 4.6.2 on PR1.2 btw)

P.S., I'm not sure if the SGX driver was even changed (cba to check), the kernel is dated August 06 btw.

Edit: @ post above, the whole dualboot thing was overhyped too much on tmo, it's only a patch to the kernel, which I think, was introduced after August 6, so it probably isn't in this image.

Last edited by MohammadAG; 2010-10-20 at 20:38.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
I'm not trying to be picky since I'm not really experienced in this low level flashing stuff, but I thought the N900 didn't have a JTAG port (or it had some sort of serial port that no one knows what it is)?
I expect you're right. I've never gone looking for a JTAG port on the N900, and I just assumed there was one there, somewhere, as the N8x0 devices had them. For me it makes no difference, really, as I'm not 1337 enough for that level of hacking.

The message remains: Do not taunt Happy Fun Boot Loader.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
MohammadAG how dare you inject so much common sense into this thread.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I expect you're right. I've never gone looking for a JTAG port on the N900, and I just assumed there was one there, somewhere, as the N8x0 devices had them.
All Maemo devices (and I believe all Nokia phones) have a serial connection for fast Phoenix flashing. Not sure if they are JTAG or not. I would assume one of the interfaces under the N900's battery is it.

Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
What is this file RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin

Is this the full pr1.2 ?
Any ideas what this one is, its from here http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php
and is 249MB

Is it the full PR1.2 ? (and I dont mean 1.3 btw)

If I want to fully flash my N900 back to factory is that the latest file I need ?

Tags
chuck norris, firmware, pr1.3