On my N900 I replaced the default google with another search engine. I know the N9 has set up 4 different ones to choose from. But can more be added? I don't like any of the 4 choices.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Atlanta
Yep, you can add search engines by adding a web-search-whatever.desktop file into /usr/share/applications/ if you want you can base it off of one of the pre-existing web-search files

You can add your own (small medium and large) icons by saving them into /share/themes/blanco/meegotouch/icons/

I've personally made a Duck Duck Go search plugin (including icons) which works nicely. I've been meaning to package it up as a .deb to release to the public. So if anyone is interested in that I'll get more motivated and do it.

EDIT: Duck Duck Go .deb available here

Last edited by fignew; 2012-03-19 at 23:08.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fignew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Heh, just three days ago I did the same, also with duckduckgo However, I had to edit an existing search service. I've tried to add one, just like you, but it simply didn't show up in the list.
Also, I've tried selecting the new service using gconftool directly, but that didn't work as well. Pretty weird tho, I could read out the currently selected service, but when I wrote selected another one using gconftool it didn't work. Only using the settings panel it would work. Guess I've missed something somewhere.

However, I had to reflash my N9 since then (tip: do not uninstall the Facebook app ) so a nice .deb with nice icons would be welcome

Hmm, gotta try this. fignew, so did you add one or just edited one of the presets?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I had never heard of duckduckgo before, thanks.

I copied the google one and modified it as necessary. I have 5 search engines on the list.

Duck Duck Go is great. My primary search engine for the past few months.

Still working on the .deb

The Following User Says Thank You to fignew For This Useful Post:
I can't get it to work.

I have placed the .desktop file into /usr/share/applications (actually copied and edited the google one with nano).

Then I placed two icons (small and medium) to /usr/share/themes/blanco/meegotouch/icons/

But the new search engine option just won't appear in browser settings.

Is there anything more that needs to be done?

edit: oddly enough, if I replace the yandex .desktop file witj my own custom one, it gets picked up immediately. So I can replace, but not add?

edit 2: it started showing 5 search engine options after a night and a few reboots...

Last edited by impact; 2012-01-15 at 14:53.

Originally Posted by fignew View Post
I've personally made a Duck Duck Go search plugin (including icons) which works nicely. I've been meaning to package it up as a .deb to release to the public. So if anyone is interested in that I'll get more motivated and do it.
Please, please please...I have no idea how to do this. And I really want to use DuckDuckGo as my main search engine.

Hi guys, sorry to keep you guys in the dark. I've managed to package DuckDuckGo as an easily installable .deb and I should have it posted very soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to fignew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 136 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Hungary
I added a desktop file, but after a reboot, I can't choose it from the list.

You have to add an icon too?

Thanks.

Edit: After the second reboot, it appeared.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Arthuro_Adam; 2012-03-06 at 20:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to Arthuro_Adam For This Useful Post: