Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
General population agrees with this which is why Maemo 6 will be capacitive along with the other popular touch devices (ipod, zune, hd2, etc).
Which is precisely why I won't buy the next Maemo device, as I already stated HERE

He who would trade precision for some ultra-light-touch sensitivity, deserves neither precision nor ultra-light-touch sensitivity.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
Which is precisely why I won't buy the next Maemo device, as I already stated HERE

He who would trade precision for some ultra-light-touch sensitivity, deserves neither precision nor ultra-light-touch sensitivity.
Yep, no more Transport Tycoon, Monkey Island, Sketch and so on...

The Following User Says Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Used both...

Resistive > capacitive

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TooMuchMoney For This Useful Post:
The N900 works great. The best resistive screen I've used so far, though I am looking forward to a nice glass capacitive screen in the next device.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
At the end of the day it is a trade off.

Capacitance-type screens are very responsive and also can have a "solid" glass screen. Unfortunately cannot use a stylus and lose a bit of accuracy.

Resistance-type screens are not as responsive as a capacitance screen but you can use a stylus (fingernail,di1do whatever) and more accuracy. The screen must have some flexibility

Choose the right tool for the right job.

Resistance-type screens are ideal when use of the device is flexible.
Capacitance-type screens are more suited to a device within a well-defined use.

I think using a capacitance screen makes perfect sense for something like the iPhone and a resistance screen is used with n900.

iPhones are more entertainment devices where Maemo-based devices are more practical-type of device. Hence the touch screen technologies chosen for these devices make sense.

If that is the case then the next Maemo-based phone maybe leaning towards entertainment use.

Nokia seems to be suffering from iPhone "penis envy" and not actually considering how the next Maemo-based device is going to be used.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
A bad resistive screen can be a major pain in the ***, but a good one can be superior to capacitive.

The N900 has a great one.

True, a capacitive screen backed by good processing power and software IS more sensitive than a resistive one and can seem more pleasant to use. But when you do a simple pro-con comparison, resistive comes out on top. After that it's down to personal preference.

I couldn't imagine clicking small links on the 800x480 screen with my finger. You'd have to zoom in every time you want to click a link, and zoom out every time you want to read what it says on the page, With resistive, you just use your fingernail or the stylus!

The Following User Says Thank You to MrThunderfield For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
You misunderstood something...
maemo6 will SUPPORT capacitive displays and multitouch.
That does NOT mean that all maemo6 product will nessecarily have a capacitive screen...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by trohax View Post
I'm getting a new phone -- the nokia N900 and the main draw back is its resistive touch screen
Huh? Why is that? The only [not very] valid reason I've seen out there is lack of multi-touch. What other drawbacks are there? If it were me, I'd s/resistive/capacitive in your statement and face it to other phones w/out resistive. As others probably notice on this forum, I call BS on Nokia/Maemo freely so no one can accuse me of being an N900 fanboi, but when it comes to their screen (resistive use and resolution/pixels/brightness/clarity) no one has heard me say anything but positive - it is a no brainer - this coming from someone who has a collection of "you name the smartphone/tablet, I got it." Nexus One? Yup. DROID? Yup. Accounts with ATT/TMO/VZW? Doesn't everyone?

Why does everyone think a resistive touchscreen is a drawback? Amazing how inaccurate information about certain technology continues to propagate. We're not 20-years ago - resistive technology is great these days and superior to capacitive in a number of ways. It's more accurate, it doesn't require you to take your gloves off, you can use a stylus, it's lower overhead to implement (i.e. all the fly-by-wire code that needs to make capacitive work can go away and free up resources/battery life), and, did I mention it is more accurate? (has to do with what happens under the hood to make capacitive work semi-accurately - similar to a stealth fighter: not meant to fly, would be impossible to fly w/out all the code and compute power in it, but it seems just fine until you talk to a pilot- capacitive is truly fly-by-wire and this is why you have a lot of issues with dead spots coming and going regardless of the phone. Even that super duper cult-creating iThing gets complaints about dead spots.

I have NEVER had that issue with a resistive. I also haven't had to use the built-in, very simple "hit four dots and your done" calibrator Nokia has on N900/N97/etc. Comes out of the box in great shape and never seems to lose calibration.

Anyway, implementation is a different story. Nokia has it dead on with the N900. It has other issues (which the community is solving for Maemo/Nokia), but one of the several things I REALLY like is the resistive screen. I love using a stylus so I don't have to zoom a web page just to hit something - in general, I use the stylus about 70% of the time just maneavuring around. I love not having to take my gloves off when it is -5C out. I've been doing some testing with my Nexus One and a DROID lately and whenever I go to their screens, I realize how good the quality is of the N900's touch. It is spot on and so sensitive that some like using Zagg's heavier invisishield screen protector to 'back down' the sensitivity.

I'm being very general hear and don't feel like doing anything more than that, but there is nothing wrong with resistive and I'm baffled as to why most still think it's a fault. Perhaps because many don't think it can do multi-touch? It can, but even if not, who cares? Nokia/Apple have so many patent lawsuits against each other right now, I'm fairly certain Nokia isn't about to license multi-touch from Apple (who is the only manufacturer not paying Nokia to license Nokia's tons of patents - Apple is using in iPhone and puters not paying and 40+ others are paying Nokia). Tangent, but my speculation why Nokia isn't about to play nicely with Apple (who recently filed a complaint to with the US trade commission to prevent Nokia from selling in the US).

I have always liked Nokia's implementation on resistive. My N97 isn't as good as the N900, but it is still better than some of the capacitives out there PLUS has handwriting recognition that works pretty good (miss it on the N900 though). I, for one, am one of the people that hopes Nokia doesn't go capacitive - ever. This particularly helps them in markets that are colder. I hope the lack of handwriting recognition was just to get it launched rather than a sign of no more resistive and no more stylus and taking my gloves off. But, if I do hit a small combo box or radio button on a page w/my fat finger, 95% of the time it gets what I'm aiming for w/out the stylus. Nokia simply has it right - no question.

I should mention, I'd hate to use the N900's superior resolution w/out a stylus - it would be constant zooming or compensating for it by making everything bigger defeating the purpose of the increased real estate. As resolutions get to the N900's level, I'm interested in knowing what capacitive freaks plan to do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hex900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by zwer View Post

Hi guys, this is my first post here. I will properly introduce myself elsewhere, but I had to post a LOL to zwer's comment.

lol

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
well for what its worth the N900's touch screen is excellent, I work in a phone shop can have tried them all.

Yes personally i think capacitive is better than resistive but its all about the end user, not all capacitive screen are good, my HTC Hero's touch screen was beyond rubbish and my wifes Blackberry Storm is quite possible the worst phone ever made, while iPhone's screen was fantastic.

My advice to you or anyone is to pop into a shop and ask for a demo with the phone, its all about whether 'you' can use the touch screen, not whether you next door neighbour can use it. Even if its considered a bad touch screen i.e. N97, if you can use it and like it, then a better touch screen i.e N900, iPhone might not suite your style of operation..

I've served people who cant use an iPhone but are fine with a Nokia 5530 or Samsung Tocco Lite..

Better ain't always 'better' - if you know what I mean

The Following User Says Thank You to starman For This Useful Post: