Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Random numbers: In quarter 3 2010, Nokia sold 117.4 million units.
Maybe it'd influence the main company strategy if the N9 sold 6 million units in 6 months and they could follow it up with a N9+ selling equally much in the next 6 months.

Before that, they'd have to MAKE 6 million units, which they can't do without changing the manufacturing strategy already.
Very true.

But I do think Nokia could use Meego/Harmattan as a platform for future disruptive devices.

I don't really care if Nokia build 6Million or 600Thousand, so long as I can get ONE.

N900 was a highly individual model. Whilst it has hardly contributed to Nokia's profits it has contributed to the development of Qt and Meego. It has been the last bastion for Nokia power users and geeks standing against the Android onslaught and I can see value in successive devices on a similar scale.

Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
Very true.

But I do think Nokia could use Meego/Harmattan as a platform for future disruptive devices.

I don't really care if Nokia build 6Million or 600Thousand, so long as I can get ONE.

N900 was a highly individual model. Whilst it has hardly contributed to Nokia's profits it has contributed to the development of Qt and Meego. It has been the last bastion for Nokia power users and geeks standing against the Android onslaught and I can see value in successive devices on a similar scale.
The problem is I don't even think Elop realises Harmattan is different from meego os itselfs as I sense he just sees anything which isn't WP7 as just being "wrong" somehow.

He starting to look to me like a football club manager brought in to turn a football club round but as the opposite effect and the club Board eventually get so fed up with the poor results he gets fired.

As far as Apps go if Alien Dalvik can use Android Apps on the N9 then surely there is not an issue with a lack of Apps market

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Very true.

well, Flop doesn't care whether you get one
he wants you to buy a W device

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
to late!? thats just plain ********!! if the marketing is doing the right thing it NOT to late!!!
It is too late, because now they only have the N9 option. If this goes bad (too geeky usability, too poor ecosystem) they would probably not get another opportunity.

Meego arriving one year early would have given Nokia some capacity to react. Now, if they base EVERYTHING on the N9, it is suicidal. Of course it could go ok, but you just can't take the risk.

So now they've bet for Windows. The N9 is very good, but arrives too late for them. Or you can guarantee that this will be a total hit and will save Nokia?? Do you remember those awesome Palm Pre mobiles?? Nokia just couldn't take the risk at 2011.

* Why the n950 also looks gorgeous???

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Moody's Cuts Nokia Credit Rating

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/06/...aked-in-march/

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/06/...aked-in-march/

What he's killing is Nokia's brand. This is VERY hard to regain.

WOW! Folks, I think we discovered our first person "born yesterday"! Additionally, let's not forget that he's entirely deserving of this treatment--he's hardly the first to be treated this way and hardly the first to deserve it.
Did you really expect anything different to this? Of course credit rating will be downrated - do you think that came as a surprise to Elop? Do you think you've spotted something that he and the board overlooked?

Look at Elop's history; this is one smart guy, and he's playing the long-game. His own personal wealth (via perforance-linked bonuses) is directly tied to Nokia's WP success, and if he fails he'll be pretty much washed up career-wise.

Nokia's brand is not dead, so therefore Elop has not killed it, but you'd have to have had your head in the sand to believe that Nokia were in anything but good shape before Elop took over.

The previous pilot started the nose-dive some years before Elop took to the controls - do you really think anyone could pull Nokia back to level flight with no further loss of altitude and no discomfort to the passengers? Do you really? Do you remember how people *****ed at and criticized Nokia (usually fairly) for one failure after another since the hey-day of the N95.

Are you aware of a device called the iPhone that effectively changed the market for smartphones, and how Nokia were criticised for failing to respond to this?

Are you aware how successful Android became, again: BEFORE Elop was appointed as CEO?

Do you understand that far-eastern manufacturers have been building millions of dirt-cheap Android handsets to undermine Nokia's dominance since BEFORE Elop took over?

Are you aware that these cheap devices are sold worldwide in markets vastly bigger than the US or European markets off-contract for less than the typical value of a single contract payment in the US or UK?

Is any of this Elop's fault?

- No, because it all happened before he was appointed.

Is he still blamed for it?

- Yes, but only by those who are ignorant of the Big Picture.

Elop may have his faults, but the state of Nokia is not entirely related to his leaked memo prior to Feb 11th - other factors were in place well before this.

Turning a company with an entrenched corporate culture like Nokia around was never going to be easy. This was always going to get worse before it started to get better - and that's what we're seeing now.

But Nokia are so big it almost defies description. Remember how much cash they have; they could easily survive a couple of quarters running a loss - didn't Motorola do that a while back?

Nokia are way bigger than Motorola.

This is an uncertain industry in an uncertain time, so of course investors will stay clear of anything other than a safe bet. Of course Nokia's stock is under threat and of course sales are going to suffer.

But at least they have a plan

The Following User Says Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by petrelli View Post
[...] Now, if they base EVERYTHING on the N9, it is suicidal.
betting the whole farm on LostDOS IS hara-kiri
no if, no maybe

[...] it could go ok,[...]
it is guaranteed to go wrong

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
As far as Apps go if Alien Dalvik can use Android Apps on the N9 then surely there is not an issue with a lack of Apps market
Say, where IS Alien Dalvik on N900 and N9?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Look at that Microsoft drop. I wonder how WP would fare if Nokia should be removed from the WP camp.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
The problem is I don't even think Elop realises Harmattan is different from meego os itselfs as I sense he just sees anything which isn't WP7 as just being "wrong" somehow.

He starting to look to me like a football club manager brought in to turn a football club round but as the opposite effect and the club Board eventually get so fed up with the poor results he gets fired.

It's not just apps - it's access to, and maintenance of those apps for the majority who just want to click to download.

If their device get screwed' lost or stolen they just want to be able to restore with a click - no code, no xterm, no problem. They want their apps updated automatically, and they need to be guided to the right apps via a quality app store. Ovi is only just starting to get there in most respects, but Nokia cannot wait to allow Ovi to catch up...

What can Alien Dalvik offer to compete with iOS or Android in terms of usability?

And what can Meego/Harmattan offer to compete with iTunes, Google services integration, iMessage, iCloud, etc?

Elop is right - the battle is now for ecosystems and much as I'd love an N9 for my own use, Meego/Harmattan has little to offer for the masses. Maybe I'm just strange...

Interesting Football Club manager analogy; I don't follow The Beautiful Game myself, but surely any new Manager is given a few games - probably a whole season to prove himself?

Team Nokia are still on the bus!

[...]

This is an uncertain industry in an uncertain time, so of course investors will stay clear of anything other than a safe bet. Of course Nokia's stock is under threat and of course sales are going to suffer.
well, unfortunately, traders are "gamblers", not like the farmer that goes to Las Vegas once a year & loses everything (or if he wins, wins by sheer luck) but like professional players, who analyse
- the risk (probability of a bad outcome)
- the value they will get when this happens

obviously, the investors think that wp is a VERY BAD risk and NOKIA's shares won't be worth... the electrons needed to trade 'em

But at least they have a plan

Irrationally held truths may be more harmful than reasoned errors.
- Thomas H. Huxley

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:

Tags
balmer was here, e6 rox, elop rox, elop snopp, elop's fool, the elop flop