I consider myself a fairly tech savvy and typical gadget consumer. I think the only way for the tablet to survive in mainstream is for the price to come down to around $150. At the current price, I would rather spend it on the Ipod Touch (with some change left) or a netbook. If I want something in my pocket I get the Touch (cheaper, easy to use, slimmer, useful, etc.). If I want something more productive I get a netbook (XP, power aps, etc.). The tablet is NOT both...it's neither. I'm not even going to bring up the Iphone or G1. The tablet may have certain features that the others may not have but do you really use them often enough to justify their existence?

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
There must be a bug in the vbulletin software because the same thread repeats again and again.

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
You're right, the comparisons with the touch/iphone/netbook are tiresome, but the op is also right that the price is too high, (especially for europeans).
If a small number of people in a forum, with no manufacturing experience and no big economies of scale, can manufacture a cheaper product than mighty nokia (I'm referring to the pandora) then something is wrong.

Originally Posted by slingster View Post
...I think the only way for the tablet to survive in mainstream is for the price to come down to around $150....
I prefer the tablet didn't become fully mainstream. Truly mainstream products are usually watered-down/crippled/etc., like the iPod Touch you mentioned.

As long as I have a tablet, I'd prefer Nokia's tablets to occupy a comfortably large, but still niche market.

As for price, the N810 is overdue for a price drop, although $150 is probably too optimistic. But you can dream.

The Following User Says Thank You to ace For This Useful Post:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by luca View Post
If a small number of people in a forum, with no manufacturing experience and no big economies of scale, can manufacture a cheaper product than mighty nokia (I'm referring to the pandora) then something is wrong.
What you don't take into account is that the price is mainly determined by the consumer: if people are willing to pay €400,- for a product, why sell it for less even though the costs of manufacturing it are much lower?

So the fact that tablets are relatively expensive at the moment doesn't mean Nokia couldn't sell them for less once the situation on the market changes.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
What you don't take into account is that the price is mainly determined by the consumer: if people are willing to pay €400,- for a product, why sell it for less even though the costs of manufacturing it are much lower?
Sure, they'd be fools selling their wares for less than what the prospective buyers are willing to pay.
However I wasn't willing to pay 400€ for a tablet when it was the only item of its kind available (high resolution display, running linux, open, etc.) so I ended up buying it in the usa on ebay for 250 (and 2 weeks later the price dropped considerably ), and I won't be willing to pay that amount 6 month from now when there are cheaper alternatives available (and, no, for me the iphone/ipod touch don't qualify as alternatives to the tablet, a netbook running linux barely qualifies and the pandora definitely does).
Besides, I hope that I can continue using my current tablet by then, so I'm even less likely to spend 400€ on a new, redundant, gadget, but at 150 it'd be really tempting.
That's just me anyway, so I won't generalize.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
nookia have two options when it comes to price.

1. up the hardware but keep the price the same.

2. keep the hardware the same but drop the price.

they will most likely select 1...

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post

So the fact that tablets are relatively expensive at the moment doesn't mean Nokia couldn't sell them for less once the situation on the market changes.
I don't think this applied to the NIT.

First, it was initially (if not still) a niche product with no market history, so it was difficult to implement the conventional what the market will bear approach.

Secondly, sales are not high and there are now other Internet-capable pocket sized devices on the market. Under the market demand theory, the price would now be lower than 400 but it is not.

Finally, Nokia is a fiscally conservative company. They don't accept loss leaders or bet on creating a niche or marketing hype strategies. Internally, the NIT product had to show a future that included a decent profit margin and modest sales. I think modest sales were unavoidable, so I think a good price/profit margin was used.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Tangerines! Yes!