Let's get a good thread going with people's overall experiences with the new upgrade. I'm running my 770 in a pretty mission-critical position, and I need the full scoop on something before I can upgrade to it. So far, there's only been a bit of error-reporting in the other thread, but nothing to concise.

Hopefully we can establish some of these:
Is the Wifi range actually improved?
How much?
Do kismet and airodump still pick up a lot of junk and ghost networks?
Are there any other improvements?
Is the browser any more stable?
What did it break?
Any other hidden fixes/features?

I'm wondering the same things. I have not upgraded for fear of not being able to install apps as stated in the other thread. Any word yet on how the upgrade is working out?

Using a 770 as mission-critical? You're a braver man than I.

Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
Let's get a good thread going with people's overall experiences with the new upgrade. I'm running my 770 in a pretty mission-critical position, and I need the full scoop on something before I can upgrade to it.
If it's that mission critical to you, you might want to invest in another 770 for testing this kind of upgrades.

Hopefully we can establish some of these:
Is the Wifi range actually improved?
How much?
Are there any other improvements?
Is the browser any more stable?
What did it break?
Any other hidden fixes/features?
I'm not using kismet and/or airodump, so no idea what's changed.
I've not seen any problem regarding application compatibility nor a difference in wifi range.
There's a bugfix in the latest firmware which caused my 770 to reboot when using WPA network encryption quite often. WPA networks are stable (but maybe a bit slower) now. If you often experience reboots you really want the latest firmware.

Originally Posted by Supergeek View Post
Using a 770 as mission-critical? You're a braver man than I.
I'm in a rather odd situation where have a full computer is impossible. I can get on a public computer once a week for a couple hours, but that's it. So, my 770 is my computer. I use it as my media center, read RSS, ebooks, email, web, and a bit of everything else. It has its frustrating moments, but it works suprisingly well. And, it beats the alternative: nothing.

Originally Posted by klaasjan View Post
If it's that mission critical to you, you might want to invest in another 770 for testing this kind of upgrades.
Would love to be able to...

I'm not using kismet and/or airodump, so no idea what's changed.
I've not seen any problem regarding application compatibility nor a difference in wifi range.
There's a bugfix in the latest firmware which caused my 770 to reboot when using WPA network encryption quite often. WPA networks are stable (but maybe a bit slower) now. If you often experience reboots you really want the latest firmware.
Hmmm.... I'm not seeing any good reasons to upgrade...

Would love to be able to...

Hmmm.... I'm not seeing any good reasons to upgrade...
I feel your pain, Pandemonium. I have dragged my feet on upgrading but have decided to do so for one very compelling reason:

Gnuite continues to improve Maemo Mapper and v1.4 forward require the upgrade. If you haven't used MM, it's unbelievable. I've been using it with a Holux 240 GPS receiver and, IMHO, it's kept me from having to purchase an off the shelf GPS unit.
Neil

I use maemo mapper pretty regularly. Didn't know that the newer version required the upgrade... thanks for the heads-up!

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Kismet was fixed to not show ghost networks long ago. You may still have an old version but that fixed version was available long before the latest firmware for the 770 came out.

The only problem that still remains is that it will stop scanning due to power-saving features kicking in on the wifi chip if the 770 is not plugged in. Although, I haven't used it in a while so that might have been solved too.

By the way, I didn't want to force the new versions of Maemo Mapper (v1.4 or greater) to require the new firmware. The new maemo SDK allows concurrent development and testing between the 770 and the N800, but unfortunately it requires the new 770 firmware. It was the most efficient way for me to continue to support the 770 platform (which is my #1 priority) and also support the new N800 platform.

So, I apologize for forcing people to upgrade their 770 firmware just for the latest versions of Maemo Mapper. Personally, I haven't had any problems with the new firmware, but I understand that some people are hesitant to upgrade without good reason.