Active Topics

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Nokia-N800-51:~/initfs_flasher# mount -o remount,ro /dev/mtdblock3 /mnt/initfs
*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (fasttop): 0x00047050 ***
Aborted

Not sure why this is causing this error, is my initfs corrupt?
Nope, it never started to flash. You can still take the .jffs2 file it creates and use the USB flasher utility to flash, but for whatever reason on-device flashing is broken. I'm having other issues now. I can never get it to recognize I'm pressing the menu button. It will display the "press menu button" message and then boot from flash without ever displaying the menu. Trying other buttons doesn't seem to do anything but stop it from booting at all. It will sit at the Kernel version screen forever.

Larry

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Aborted
That looks like a memory pointer issue, maybe with nandwrite? No idea to fix, other than following Larry with using the safe way to flash with the official flashing tool, flasher-3.0.

I don't have an N800 yet, but I wonder if Larry's problem can be replicated?

Rich

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Read the README.txt use flash tool or use the command in the README.txt to set the boot device to ask:mmc2 or whatever

This will fix the automatically boot from flash.

Yes, I was able to flash initfs manually, I think I must have had a package prior, which allowed me to flash from the command line. I had several OS2006 packages installed.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic

Part 2 - Ready for flashing this image? (yes/no) : yes
*** remounting initfs read only ...
Aborted
Press enter to reboot device (or ctrl+c to quit, not recommended)
This means flashing was not even tried and it failed on remounting initfs read only. Looks like mount command failed. there is
mount -o remount,ro /dev/mtdblock3 /mnt/initfs || return 1
line so it aborts if mount fails (it wouldn't be safe to continue)

Try to run just mount in command line as root (as above or just mount without parameters), does it work? Check if you didn't upgrade to busybox-sdk from bora repository - this is big NO NO as it has mount disabled. Maybe application manager dit it to you by mistake. check via dpkg -l | grep busybox

Most probably initfs is not corrupted, just rootfs :-)

Originally Posted by lbattraw View Post
I'm having other issues now. I can never get it to recognize I'm pressing the menu button. It will display the "press menu button" message and then boot from flash without ever displaying the menu. Trying other buttons doesn't seem to do anything but stop it from booting at all.
please check bootmenu.sh if there are lines
Code:
EVNAME=event1 # default, n770
grep -q RX-34 ${initfs_prefix}/etc/initfs_version && EVNAME=event2 #n800
#wait 1 second for keyup event
GETKEY="evkey -u -t 1000 /dev/input/${EVNAME}"
on the beginning. If not, redownload from http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/initfs_flasher.tgz (try wget if you get old version - firefox did it to me once on different site).

If yes then please debug this for me. As root run
Code:
chroot /mnt/initfs
first to get to busubox inside initfs and then paste lines as above one by one, maybe first try simple
Code:
grep -q RX-34 /etc/initfs_version && echo It works
and then one by one as above (verbatim, including comment, one never knows with busybox ash) and check to run $GETKEY if it works then, it should wait second and output key code if you press something.

Last edited by fanoush; 2007-01-18 at 09:28.

Hey Fanoush, any idea what the mount issue is? Has anyone else run into this. It worked the first time I used it, so I assuming something I had installed must have allowed it to work?

I guess something is corrupted in your rootfs, maybe it was not correctly reflashed? Does it happen also when you boot from mmc (i.e. you are using mount and initfs flasher executed from mmc)? Or if you regulary boot from mmc, does it happen when you boot from flash? Check dmesg log for i/o errors or any other suspicious things there. When mount doesn't work something is seriously wrong with the OS. Some people here or on IRC complain that reflashing is not 100% stable on n800.

looks like corrupted data in RAM, something that should not happen, can be caused by corrupted executable or library in flash

Also it is not the busybox issue I mentioned, right?

Last edited by fanoush; 2007-01-18 at 16:07.

I initially installed the bootmenu after have lots of packages updated on 2006 OS. So I decided to use my currently running from mmc OS as my default boot. I created a second bootable partition and use tar to backup my first mmc partition. So I can boot to either mmc with Then I decided to use the flash and only install packages built for n800, once everything I wanted was available for n800 platform, I would promote it to mmc and use it as my promary os.

So I had to good copies of my OS on the slots, and reflashed my n800 again with the latest copy 51-6

I then installed becomeroot and installed xterm, then tried to run both initfs_flashers, the original you posted and then the final version.

I used the flasher to flash the initfs that was created by your script to manually install initfs image. I will do some more testing, also note that the change to ask:mmc2, should that stay through reflashing? Mine did? I guess maybe that makes sense?

I then installed becomeroot and installed xterm, then tried to run both initfs_flashers, the original you posted and then the final version.
Yes, but what system you booted from when using initfs flasher, flash or mmc? Does the error (while flashing initfs) happens when booting from mmc or (maybe corrupted) flash rootfs or both?

well once I reflashed I could only boot from flash, I probably could have used the flasher tool and set it to mmc2, but I did not think of that at the time.

When I run from flash the mount command, I get

Nokia-N800-51:~# mount -o remount,ro /dev/mtdblock3 /mnt/initfs

Aborted

df shows
/dev/mtdblock3 2048 1784 264 87% /mnt/initfs

Has anyone else gotten this from a fresh install?

I tried from my mmc to see if I could mount it and I did not get an error, but if I do a df I see nothing changed.

Nokia-N800-51:~# mount -o remount,ro /dev/mtdblock3 /mnt/initfs
Nokia-N800-51:~# df
Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p2 2048 1784 264 87% /mnt/initfs
none 512 68 444 13% /mnt/initfs/tmp
/dev/mmcblk0p2 1545240 619920 846824 42% /
none 512 68 444 13% /tmp
none 1024 76 948 7% /dev
/dev/mmcblk1p1 40034 6736 33298 17% /media/mmc1
/dev/mmcblk0p1 402968 327888 75080 81% /media/mmc2

I still think its something I installed that made it work, but I can not confirm, unless someone else is having the problem out of the box also.

Is anyone else booting from mmc on n800? Did you get this error? Was it a fresh install, or added to an OS with already lots of 2006 catalog apps?
Do you think its my hardware?