Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Hi,

just to let you know that thanks to penguinbait who did guinea pig for me with his N800, bootmenu now supports this device. It still supports N770 of course and has some new features.

Check http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#initfs or directly here http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/initfs_flasher.tgz (n770 is dropped from the name)

New features (nothing fancy) described here:
http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-dev...ry/007111.html

Also fanoush.webpark.cz is retired, maybe you noticed that it went down last week and it took them some time to recover. Now it is back up but I can no longer login properly. If I regain access I'll add some redirect to new page and use it as a backup.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
There appears to be no USB host mode available, has anyone been able to confirm if it was just left out of the Kernel support? Do we just need a module? I really want USB support.

Forgot to say that for N800 device bootmenu supports only newer IT2007 version (2.2006.51-6). It may be that some early N800 devices in shops are still with older firmware 1.2006.47-20 which is currently not supported by bootmenu script. If you have this older version (check Control panel->Device->About) then I would be interested in /mnt/initfs/linuxrc file (before you upgrade) so I can add support for it.

Last edited by fanoush; 2007-01-15 at 09:33.

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Hi,

just to let you know that thanks to penguinbait who did guinea pig for me with his N800, bootmenu now supports this device. It still supports N770 of course and has some new features.
Thanks Fanoush, appreciate your work!. Hopefully Nokia will be inviting you to get the N800 at a discount. In fact I'll drop them a line to make sure!

I don't have an N800 myself at the mo. How does bootmenu work with the two SD card slots? Is there a choice?

And does anyone know whether the Navicore map kit could use one slot (presumably needs fat format), whilst booting of an SD card (with ext2) on the other, using bootmenu?

Cheers
Rich

I do not have navicore, but you can boot from either slot, any partition. You could then put the 1gb navicore card in the other slot. whichever "other" slot you want. There is a bootmenu.conf where you can change the slot or the partition number, you can even have a bootable card in both slots.

You should also be able to use say a 2GB mmc and have a 1gb bootable partition, and 1gb navicore partition and put say a 4 GB SD in the other slot.

You should also be able to boot from 4GB SD card, I just only have rsmmc available to test. I wonder which is faster mmc or SD? I want to wait for the 8GB to come down in price.

Originally Posted by richie View Post
How does bootmenu work with the two SD card slots? Is there a choice?
Not by default but as penguinbait said you can copy included bootmenu.conf.example to bootmenu.conf and add what you want.

It is probably a good idea to add n770 and N800 specific examples and external slot configuration to N800 example. I'll do it.

I'm not sure how it is with free space in initfs partition on N800 but you may probably edit/create the /mnt/initfs/bootmenu.conf later without reflashing initfs. It is a bit problematic (at least on N770) due to low free space in intfs and journaling nature of jffs2 system. You may edit it few times in place but then you run out of space in initfs and no further writes are possible so it is better to minimize number of writes to files inside /mnt/initfs. When you run out of space, initfs reflash and reboot is needed to have another round of limited writes. It is caused by jffs2 garbage collector that needs lot of free space to reclaim unused space and initfs partition is too small and too full for it to work correctly.

I reflash and I am having some problems flashing bootmenu now. I am going to reflash again and do this before I install any other software and see it it makes any difference? Here is the output from the failure????

Nokia-N800-51:~/initfs_flasher# ./initfs_flash

=== Flasher for initfs with onscreen bootmenu ===

For safe flashing please do the following:

- close all aplications (to free available RAM and prevent system crash)
- disconnect from network (to prevent system crash)
- make sure you have at least 5MB free disk space in flasher directory
- make sure you know how to reflash device in usual way if this fails

Are you sure to continue? (yes/no) : yes

Create backup of current initfs (yes/no) : yes
*** creating initfs.orig.jffs2 ...
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1686436 Jan 17 15:02 initfs.orig.jffs2
Press enter to continue

Part 1 - Preparing initfs.bootmenu.jffs2 image
*** copying current initfs ... done.
If you remove extra stuff you may write to initfs and customize bootmenu.
Remove unneeded extra (and factory testing) stuff? (yes/no) : yes
*** removing extra stuff ...
*** extracting boot menu files for initfs version osso-RX-34.2006-51 ...
./linuxrc
./dev
./dev/mmcblk0p3
./usr
./usr/bin
./usr/bin/evkey
*** copying bootmenu.sh
*** searching for optional bootmenu.conf in current directory ...
Found, do you want to add it to initfs? (yes/no) yes
*** OK, bootmenu.conf added
*** creating initfs.bootmenu.jffs2 ...
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1413760 Jan 17 15:02 initfs.bootmenu.jffs2

Part 2 - Ready for flashing this image? (yes/no) : yes
*** remounting initfs read only ...
*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (fasttop): 0x00047050 ***
Aborted
Press enter to reboot device (or ctrl+c to quit, not recommended)

OK, I completely reflashed and it still does not work for me. I am going to try the original instructions. The only things installed before this was becomreroot and xterm.

Any Ideas?

OK, I tried the original package and the new package and I get the same results. Fanoush I need some help here??????

All stop on same glibc stop error?????

Nokia-N800-51:~/initfs_flasher# mount -o remount,ro /dev/mtdblock3 /mnt/initfs
*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (fasttop): 0x00047050 ***
Aborted

Not sure why this is causing this error, is my initfs corrupt?