Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by fanoush
I suspect you forgot to mount NFS or the mount failed and you simply wrote directly to internal flash instead and filled it up.
Shouldn't have been possible to do that, as I was trying to rsync files from my NAS share (mounted as /nas) across to MMC, in which case I only ever read data from the /nas mount and never wrote anything to it - yet the rootfs filled up. The odd thing is, that when I looked at Control Panel it said my rootfs was 99% full yet the individual numbers didn't add up to anything like that, suggesting the filesystem or the control panel applet were out of whack.

A reflash fixed it, but I may try again sometime as I tend to agree that mounting NFS on MMC is a bit odd. Mind you, NFS works great, particularly when portmap is installed - portmap reduced the NFS mount time from about a minute to instantaneous...

What are the chances of someone producing a new kernel image with built-in NFS support and 4x 2GB MMC patches ? Pretty please?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Someone already asked that, in fact all my kernels has crypto code enabled needed for NFS and other stuff (PPTP). NFS is not in kernel but available as modules, check this http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...&highlight=NFS

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by fanoush
Someone already asked that, in fact all my kernels has crypto code enabled needed for NFS and other stuff (PPTP). NFS is not in kernel but available as modules, check this http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...&highlight=NFS
I'll take a look at that fanoush - the only trouble is your last post where you say: "You must figure out which modules belong to NFS yourself" - I haven't a clue (for the time being!)

Maybe this Wiki will help when I take a look at installing a new kernel - won't be this weekend though, am off to Hampden for the Scoland vs. France game!

Last edited by Milhouse; 2006-10-03 at 23:34.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Los Angeles
I second this
'bout time to buy that 2gb card I've been contemplating for last few months.

Originally Posted by Milhouse
What are the chances of someone producing a new kernel image with built-in NFS support and 4x 2GB MMC patches ? Pretty please?

I am seeking, first, some clarification, then, second, if possible, some guidance, stemming from discussions involving fanoush which have occurred this month (October) over two related threads: “Double (Quadruple) your mmc-speed” and “bootmenu + kernel update?”

In the first cited thread, fanoush on October 2 stated that “Faster MMC is currently helpful when booting from the card.” In the second cited thread, penguinbait indicated on October 3 that he was “booting from my mmc card (partition #2)” and wanted to “update (flash) the kernel update for the 4x mmc speed.” From fanoush’s response(s) to penguinbait, I’m not certain that I understand whether such flashing of the kernel would result in faster operation of the operating system installed on the mmc partition 2. I have installed, following fanoush’s directions, my operating system on my Sandisk 1-gig mmc, and it works fine but is slow in downloading items from the net (e-mail, etc.), and I am desirous of increasing the speed. I’m not certain from the various thread discussions whether this is possible (it would seem to be) and if so, how I would precisely go about it. This request for guidance has been requested elsewhere in this or another thread. I would hope that someone could clarify this for me in language easier for me to comprehend (if that’s possible). Thanks

Sandisk 1GB is not MMCmobile card but plain old (and slow) MMC (single row of 7 contacts). With this card communication runs at 16Mhz with my kernel and 12Mhz with original kernel (speedup= x1.3). This could still be slightly faster than internal flash but not much. It can be seen on the progress bar while the system boots. It is computed to fill the screen completely with internal flash. If it does not reach right border while booting from card, boot is faster. With Kingston 2GB (running at 48Mhz) it finishes slightly after 1/2.

Interesting. I now have to decide whether my interest and what I stand to gain are sufficient to justify my purchase of the Kingston 2-gig card. The cost isn't as much a concern as my being able to follow your (excellent) instructions once again to replicate my present booting from the card. Would I first have to follow the instructions elsewhere posted on this forum for getting the Nokia to even recognize the card?

I have updated old kernel with high speed patch for newer firmware. This is not based on newer kernel source since it is not available yet. It is just recompiled old kernel which pretends to be the new kernel so wi-fi driver works and device boots fine. Maybe it is better to wait for real kernel. Just tried if this quick hack may work and indeed it seems so.

I have updated high-speed MMC kernels to newer source from Nokia (released last Friday). Update is recommended, there are some useful fixes in kernel from latest firmware. The most interesting are:

* Bluetooth: Rework dynamic clocks and follow state machine more carefully
* Bluetooth: fix brf6150 jam

which should hopefully fix hangups with bluetooth keyboards and GPS modules but there are also other goodies.

I've been looking all over for instructions on how to execute this kernel. can you please help?