Active Topics

Somebody on the maemo-developers list figured out how to double/quadruple the speed of the mmc-interface.
He offers a downloadable kernel with double speed, for quadruple speed you have to edit the kernel-source yourself since he does not seem to consider this safe with any card.

http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-dev...er/005684.html

Tried it with my 1GB extremetech and 2GB Kingston and works fine :-)

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Wow, thats cool.

With the initfs boot menu and this, Nokia should offer Fanoush a job!

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Los Angeles
Glad to hear there is room for speed improvements. I'm curious if this would help speed up when using a swap file on the MMC

Could this alter the time necessary to transfer multimedia files to the card? I would watch video on my 770 much more often if it didn't take sooo long to transfer. Does anyone know offhand if the USB port on the 770 USB 1.1 or 2.0?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Rocketman
Could this alter the time necessary to transfer multimedia files to the card? I would watch video on my 770 much more often if it didn't take sooo long to transfer. Does anyone know offhand if the USB port on the 770 USB 1.1 or 2.0?
The usb mass storage functionality currently runs only at USB 1.1 speed. Faster MMC speed doesn't help with this. You can try scp via wi-fi (card is in /media/mmc1 on the device). For windows there is easy client called WinSCP. Needs openssh or dropbear installed on the device. Wi-fi has its own limits too (may depend on encryption level) but it should be faster than USB 1.1.

Faster MMC is currently helpful when booting from the card, for the swapfile and for aplications that have lot of data on card.

As for usb 2.0 I don't know. Nokia marketing says it supports USB 2.0 for client mode http://europe.nokia.com/A4145105 but this can be mistake. I hope it is not. Currently USB 2.0 functionality in g_file_storage kernel module is not enabled. Maybe there is a reason.

As for the 4x speedup, this is optional feature and some cards may not support it. I just tried quick hack and hardcoded it and it seems to work with Kingston 2GB card but it needs to be checked properly and enabled only for cards that support it.

ok I read the maemo entry etc all sounds very cool and some great detective work there man!

if I follow it correctly it sounds kind of straightfoward and another example of the 770 actually being set deliberately to operate below it's actual capabilities.

question is, I fell at the last hurdle - how do I actually, simply, get this up and running?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Fanoush - if I mount an NFS partition in /media/mmc1/nas, do you think I will then access the NFS partition at the speed of 1.3Mb/s (as per normal MMC)?

I tried mounting the NFS partition in the root file system (ie. /nas) but the 770 then complained that I had filled up internal memory (99% used) even though I had very few apps installed - I suspect the writes to "/nas" corrupted an internal capacity reference somewhere.

Later this week I'll try a timed copy to confirm the speed... just hope it doesn't stuff up my rootfs again!

New kernel with 4x mode:

http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-dev...er/005709.html

My 2GB Kingston goes into 4x and my 1GB Extremetech stays at 2x.

I was not fast enough again ;-)

direct link http://fanoush.webpark.cz/maemo/#mmcplus

Originally Posted by Milhouse
Fanoush - if I mount an NFS partition in /media/mmc1/nas, do you think I will then access the NFS partition at the speed of 1.3Mb/s (as per normal MMC)?
No, if nfs mount succeeded, card is not accessed at all. It is a bit strange to have mount points on removable media (so you loose them when card is removed) but it should work as long as you don't remove the card.
Originally Posted by Milhouse
I tried mounting the NFS partition in the root file system (ie. /nas) but the 770 then complained that I had filled up internal memory (99% used) even though I had very few apps installed - I suspect the writes to "/nas" corrupted an internal capacity reference somewhere.
I suspect you forgot to mount NFS or the mount failed and you simply wrote directly to internal flash instead and filled it up.