Active Topics

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
This morning i installed some "Operating Sytem Updates" and after that the chat tool didn't run anymore. So i tried to reboot just to end up in an endless reset loop.

I then several times tried to re-install everything, either from a backup or manually and always ended up with a malfunctioning chat tool and and endless reset loop when i tried to reboot after that.

The last full os reinstall omitting nothing but the rtcom 2008 update returned the device to a working state.

If i remember correctly, then the part updated this morning was osso-accounts-plugin-idle. So it looks to me that this component is broken and thus the entire rtcom setup is currently quite risky. Can anybody acknowledge this?

This happened to me yesterday as well, but when I reinstalled everything fresh (using the latest releases, not "updating") the issue went away. I've had issues with updating breaking applications in the past, though never this serious, so for the most part I just remove an app and install the latest release instead when there's a major update. Yesterday was a rare exception for me that won't happen again. Developers don't really worry much about creating clean update scripts for beta products.

I can confirm this issue 100%. My N810 went into classic reboot-loop. I disabled watchdog . It quit rebooting, but just stayed at a blank, white screen. Fortunately I was able to ssh in. I dpkg --purge'd the rtcomm and idle package, and problem is fixed. WTG Nokia FTW 10000000% A++++++++++ would work with again.

Sorry, that was my sarcasm speaking. It's late and I'm cold.

The Following User Says Thank You to DigiSage For This Useful Post:
I disabled watchdog . It quit rebooting, but just stayed at a blank, white screen. Fortunately I was able to ssh in.
So when you disable the watchdog, it won't start the display server but it will connect to WiFi? That's good to know, it'll save me endless hours of re-installing.

mjl

Originally Posted by mjl View Post
So when you disable the watchdog, it won't start the display server but it will connect to WiFi? That's good to know, it'll save me endless hours of re-installing.

mjl
That's right! Glad I could help.

great news, this way I could now try to investigate and (perhaps) find which component was causing those resets!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
any way to do it if one do not have ssh installed?
(yea i know, everyone should have ssh installed...)

Just to wrap that up, I finally got home today, back to my USB cable, and indeed it works. In case anyone wonders what I did:

First, put the device into RD mode, disable the watchdog, then reboot:

Code:
flasher-2.0.macosx --enable-rd-mode --set-rd-flags=no-lifeguard-reset
flasher-2.0.macosx -R
Then wait for the device to come up and be visible on the network. The display is just plain white, but the tablet will connect to the wireless nevertheless.

Log in, and as root do an "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get upgrade" -- this installs a new rtcom-beta-os2008 where the problem has obviously been corrected.

Reboot again and (after checking the N810 now boots correctly!), put it back into normal mode

Code:
flasher-2.0.macosx --disable-rd-mode --set-rd-flags=
Phew! No need to reflash and reinstall everything!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
heh, only thing missing then is if the system could open some kind of serial terminal via the usb connector by using some flasher flag. would save a lot of trouble...

see this post for a way to boot from an "emergency" MMC card. It worked for me, and should work essentially every time. Still, pretty poor when system updates do this.