Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Fellfrosch's Avatar
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 2,285 times | Joined on Dec 2009
#2741
All patches disabled?
How much space left on internal memory?

Just to be curious:
What happens if you touch the reboot text?
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 5,569 | Thanked: 17,359 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#2742
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
It's been a while, that I installed Sailfish X.
But beeing just a average Linux user, I had no problems Installing Sailfish X following exactly the instructions.
Maybe you knew what they were on about. I had no problems with the Linuxy stuff, but the Androidy stuff was like Chinese to me.

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
All patches disabled?
No patches. I only just installed Patchmanager but have not set it up yet. Uninstalling it made no difference.

How much space left on internal memory?
Lots. This is a newly set up device, with hardly anything on it. Two email accounts, that's it.

Just to be curious:
What happens if you touch the reboot text?
See my post 2740
The "Reboot" text starts off white but once I tap on it, it turns cyan and the whole thing freezes.

Never mind, I restarted again - about the fifth time already, each time unistalling something to see if it makes a difference - and now I have reset the device and am setting it up again. No big loss, there was nothing on it.
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post

Last edited by pichlo; 2018-09-05 at 09:43.
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Fellfrosch's Avatar
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 2,285 times | Joined on Dec 2009
#2743
Never owned an Android phone. But of course used sometimes the phones of my friends. Maybe i just had luck to read instructions in the right way...

For your update problems: If you have had all patches disabled and enough space on internal memory, and it still doesn't work, try update manually:
Code:
# ssu release 2.2.1.18
# version --dup
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 5,569 | Thanked: 17,359 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#2744
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
...and now I have reset the device and am setting it up again.
Yaay, success!
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,493 | Thanked: 7,155 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
#2745
The difficulty of Sailfish X installation really depends on if you want to backup the TA partition (so that you can return the device to original state, for example for easier warranty repair) or not. Without the backup step (which entail at least one firmware flashing and then 3 hours of updates or two firmware flashings) the installation process is easy, you just:

0. pay for license, download the image, download the kernel binaries
1. make sure the Android firmware is new enough
2. unlock the bootloader (this is kinda annoying, but I understand the security implications of why it is it done that way)
3. run the Jolla provided flashing script

And that's it, isn't it ?

As for additional optional but useful steps:
a) resize rootfs so your updates will not fail in the future due to the by-default laughably small rootfs overfilling
b) install Google play services in case some of the Android apps you use require them
c) install warehouse to get access to OpenRepos apps
d) install modRana & OSM Scout server from OpenRepos ;-)
__________________
modRana: a flexible GPS navigation system
Mieru: a flexible manga and comic book reader
Universal Components - a solution for native looking yet component set independent QML appliactions (QtQuick Controls 2 & Silica supported as backends)
 

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Fellfrosch's Avatar
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 2,285 times | Joined on Dec 2009
#2746
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
The difficulty of Sailfish X installation really depends on if you want to backup the TA partition (so that you can return the device to original state, for example for easier warranty repair) or not. Without the backup step (which entail at least one firmware flashing and then 3 hours of updates or two firmware flashings) the installation process is easy, you just:

0. pay for license, download the image, download the kernel binaries
1. make sure the Android firmware is new enough
2. unlock the bootloader (this is kinda annoying, but I understand the security implications of why it is it done that way)
3. run the Jolla provided flashing script

And that's it, isn't it ?

As for additional optional but useful steps:
a) resize rootfs so your updates will not fail in the future due to the by-default laughably small rootfs overfilling
b) install Google play services in case some of the Android apps you use require them
c) install warehouse to get access to OpenRepos apps
d) install modRana & OSM Scout server from OpenRepos ;-)
Martin is right. Probably that was the problem. I didn't make a backup of the TA partition. Because I definitely wanted the phone to run Sailfish and not Android.

for the optional additional steps:
a) I solved this problem working with some symlinks from usr/share to home
b) I prefer a Google free system
c) a must have
d) look at c)
 

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 5,569 | Thanked: 17,359 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#2747
I did not make a backup of anything. I don't even know what a "TA partition" is. Never heard that term in my life. Just like about 80% of the things mentioned in the installation instructions.

Look, I also went though this a while ago and don't remember all the details, but I do remember it took me a good part of a whole day to complete it. There were many outdated links and other things I had to look up for myself, because they were not sufficiently explained.

Some examples: the instructions mention you have to download Emma, whereas in reality no such thing was necessary since the flashing tool was included in the downloaded zip. it was never explained what a "fastboot driver" is and why do I need one. As it turned out, following the instructions and installing it was a grave mistake as the process worked much better without it. The instructions for getting the unlock keys mentioned I had to give Sony my details but none of that happened, making me waste time trying again because I was assuming I did it wrong. It was never explained what "vendor binary images" are and why do I need them. The fact that you will get an outdated version was mentioned only at the end and only as a "by the way".

But first and foremost of all, the instructions are badly structured. I would have written them as a list of steps with a short explanation what it is and why is it needed. Then, and only then, would I go into details of each step. The way the instructions are written makes even reading them a pain. It looks like it was written by someone who wanted to jot them down quickly before he forgets, rather than by someone who knows how to write user manuals.

Anyway. You say it was easy for you. That either makes you a genius or me an idiot. I can live with both
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Fellfrosch's Avatar
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 2,285 times | Joined on Dec 2009
#2748
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Anyway. You say it was easy for you. That either makes you a genius or me an idiot. I can live with both
I am quite far away from a genius and you (as far as I know you from this forum) from an idiot.

Which installation guide did you use? I used that one:
https://jolla.com/sailfishx-linux-instructions/
and I presume that you used a different one.

All links work in that guide and emma was marked as Option2:
If your device has its bootloader unlocked BEFORE updating to the latest version of Android, you need to follow OPTION 2 of section 1 in Windows instructions first to update your device using Sony’s flashing tool Emma.
Just for information: The TA-Partition is a special partition which holds informations regarding warranty status, all DRM keys, etc.

Last edited by Fellfrosch; 2018-09-05 at 13:22.
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 5,569 | Thanked: 17,359 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#2749
Thanks, Fellfrosch, that's very nice of you

I followed the Windows instructions here: https://jolla.com/sailfishx-windows-instructions/

In retrospect, I think my biggest problem was that I prefer to know what I am doing, which was not always the case here. The instructions are not written in a consistent style, they are a weird mix of "expert" and "trained monkey" level. A trained monkey does not need to understand, just follow steps. An expert does not need explanations because (s)he knows it all. I was lost somewhere in between

For example, I still do not know "vendor binary images" are and why do I need them. I mean, I am replacing a vendor's binary image (Android) with my own (Sailfish), am I not? So why on earth do I need this? But I guess I do not really need to know that. It's just a black box that I need for some reason. I could do the whole thing again in no time at all if I had to.
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Fellfrosch's Avatar
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 2,285 times | Joined on Dec 2009
#2750
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
For example, I still do not know "vendor binary images" are and why do I need them. I mean, I am replacing a vendor's binary image (Android) with my own (Sailfish), am I not? So why on earth do I need this? But I guess I do not really need to know that. It's just a black box that I need for some reason. I could do the whole thing again in no time at all if I had to.
Well at that point I can just guess that flashing the image you still need the image of sony because there are parts in it, which are needed to flash a third party image. But that should explain someone else, I can just guess there.
To be honest at that part I just behaved the trained monkey way . As I told you I'm just an average Linux user and maybe more the idiot than you because at some points I don't even try to understand, because I'm to lazy. So maybe that helped me with the instructions.
Which saved me at least a lot of time.
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:19.