I heard Sailfish OS had several closed bits in it like Maemo. I heard that the user interface and the Jolla components were closed source. If Jolla is yet another Quasi-open source os like Maemo was then I will look elsewhere. Can anyone confirm that this is true or false?

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side

I'm pretty sure some things are closed, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad OS. I'm sure Sailfish is just as closed or as open as other OSes.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Spain

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
yes it has closed components. Not that it matters. Every distro has some closed parts.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Yeah go look somewhere else and realise that there is NO fully opensource on embedded. Not even a hobbyproject like raspberrypi is fully opensource.

Silica will probadly be open. What will not is the apps and GFX stack etc...

There is already a thread about this here

Now please merge this thread.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
The user interface and some components are closed as it has been stated by themselves several times BUT they also stated that this will/may change in the future. I think they are trying to protect the os components, ui, etc. from others untill & after the release since they don't have the power to patent everything.

Last edited by Artyom; 2013-08-09 at 16:55.

Originally Posted by XiliX View Post
yes it has closed components. Not that it matters. Every distro has some closed parts.
Not really. Mobile ones do. I don't like the N9 vis'a'vis the N900 as the N9 is far more restricted. (besides I dont like the OS or hardware compared to N900.)

The Following User Says Thank You to zeebra For This Useful Post:
sailfish ui/ux is excellent, it does not matyer to me if the ui is open or closed.

Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
sailfish ui/ux is excellent, it does not matyer to me if the ui is open or closed.
Whether a UI is excellent or not is irrelevant. Openness is important.
edit: I realize drivers and what not will be closed but a platform should be open enough to port it to other hardware. The user interface is a pretty important component and should be open.

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2013-08-09 at 18:13.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
For information on this you'll have to wait until the release. Too early to say what will be closed or open yet.