Care to elaborate, or are you really going to argue semantics?

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Care to elaborate, or are you really going to argue semantics?
It's not about semantics; it's about how chroot works. My friend Google can elaborate further.

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Very interesting post by Stskeeps: http://mer-project.blogspot.fi/2013/...u-drivers.html
Part 2 is out:
http://mer-project.blogspot.fi/2013/...u-drivers.html

Earlier this year however, I discovered that a well-known company had taken the code - disappeared underground with it for several months, improved upon it, utilized the capability in their advertisements and demos and in the end posted the code utilizing their own source control system, detached from any state of that of the upstream project's. Even to the extent some posters around the web thought libhybris was done by that company itself.

That kind of behavior ruined the initial reason I open sourced libhybris in the first place and I was shocked to the point that I contemplated to by default not open source my hobby projects any more. It's not cool for companies to do things like this, no matter your commercial reasons. It ruins it for all of us who want to strengthen the open source ecosystem. We could have really used your improvements and patches earlier on instead of struggling with some of these issues.
This ladies and gentlemen is the reason for the GPL. This lets you sue the living piss out of people like this.

-What does this mean for Android apps?
-Is it possible to run Android apps without Myriad?
-And is lybhibris built in Sailfish ?
This is not very clear to me. Can someone please elaborate on this?
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
-What does this mean for Android apps?
-Is it possible to run Android apps without Myriad?
-And is lybhibris built in Sailfish ?
This is not very clear to me. Can someone please elaborate on this?
1.) Nothing, really
2.) No
3.) Yes

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by GI jack View Post
This ladies and gentlemen is the reason for the GPL. This lets you sue the living piss out of people like this.
No, it doesn't. The GPL does not stop anyone to release the code as a tarball instead of systematic commits to the repository, and you are only obliged to give out the code to users of your program. If it's only shown in demos and used in-house it's legal not to do so. It's bad bad manners anyhow, especially from an open-source company like canonical. I think there was similar behaviour from Apple with khtml/webkit, but they changed, too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post: