Active Topics

I thought it felt plastic-ish...but then it got all cold and stuff and I got confused...lol

Nah, not a gearbox refugee, but who would have expected a neighborhood filled with baby boomers to ALL run encrypted networks?

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

Originally Posted by Slakker View Post
...the screen is crisp and clean.
I just got two 770's after having received a N800 the week before. The N800 screen is MUCH crisper!

Yes...but costs $300 more

Another to my list of likes after getting a chance to do relatively stupid things with it: Periodically updating connections list. Awesome.

Did a bit of a "war drive" on the way home from work (after discovering that the WiFi at the campground I work at wants me to sign up for an account and pay $4/day to use it...however, I think a short chat with the owner should take care of that.) I actually found an unprotected connection about a half mile away from my house that gave me enough of a signal to browse for a few minutes. Unfortunately it wouldn't give me enough WiFi lovin to download Doom (shucks...) though, but I did get a smaller application to work out okay.

All in all, though I haven't been able to log more than 5 minutes of online time with it, I'm really pleased. This guy is going to be amazing when I move back to school and have WiFi all the time (or pick up a wireless router for the house...)

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

I love my N770!

I use it since January now, got it for free. I was allowed to choose: A new mobile (nah! my old Siemens S65 just works fine!) or a IT N770! Yeah, I took that device, hey it was for free :P

What I didnīt like in the beginning: It took me days to find out how to add repositories and software to it. Had to browse through the whole maemo.org complex to find out about that! Not too user-friendly. But hey, I was a windows-only user before. That maemo-platform rocks when you got into it!

What I like about that device:

1) Itīs small and lighweight. I carry it anywhere, there are so many open hotspots you can access! [Germany]. Even in the smallest tows and cities! On trip to spain I was able to surf the web nearly anywhere!

2) All the software! E-mail, Even two different browsers, photo-tools, flickr tools and so on!

3) The batteries capacity is ok as well! I most often use the screen not @ brightest setting, so it lasts even longer.

What I donīt really like is that the browser and other software crashes too often. Not like every day a dozen times but too often!

Another annoying thing is: When you upgrade your deviceīs firmware to use new functions, all your fricking programms and even your rep. catalogue get lost! I know thereīs a way to backup the repositories but hey: Not everyone has the time or the will to hack around in x-term!

So, many of the functions you can add to the device should be more user-friendly! No hacking just to be able to backup your repositories!

Thats what comes to my mind atm. I have to re-flash it BTW... Because of a stupid bug. Internal memory got too full and now the whole tablet is wasted. The UI is totally wrecked, it reboots all the time. Not a too uncommon bug. This time Iīll use the MMC to upgrade my internal memory!

Last edited by 770gerd; 2007-07-04 at 11:25.

So I get up this morning to a tablet that won't boot. I left it on standby on the nightstand overnight and had to pull the battery momentarily to get it to start up.

Minorly annoying...I guess we'll see how common it turns out to be.

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

Boot problems haven't happened again yet. My 2gb Kingston card arrived today, and I have to say...it's wondrous. I hope we start to see 4gb MMCMobile/RSMMC soon.

I can't wait until I move back to school and have unlimited access to wifi...lol

N770 ordered 6/27/07
Arrived 7/3/07

Purchased From: Buy.com
Purchase/Arrival Date: July 12,07

I have one Nokia 770
Pros:
1.Easy to connect to internet (through Wifi or Edge). Can be used as
unit to search for wireless (Better than windows at this one for Linux)
2.Flexibility at installing the software (Gemapper, a lot of tools including PIM, Calculator and games)
3.The screen and design is easy for reading the website (better than most
of smartphones)
4.Support Bluetooth so that can be used to view the pic on the phones and
pcs (no need for digital frames)
5.Support one software(Gizmo) similar to skype so that u can use
the internet call
6 touch screen support chinese reading and input(need to download the
software from one smart Chinese google guy)
7 Cheap (Compared to Iphone $600+ and 800 $400)
8 Formal forum to support: maemo.org
9 Support MP3,WMA and most of vedio format
10 Good battery time (8+ for regular use)

Cons:
1. Use MSS card which is rare and expensive (800 use SD card and have two
slots)
2. No camera to support vedio chat or vedio phone
3. The integrated web browser is Opera 8.0 which only has flash player 6.0
and does not support youtube (until now)
4. The CUP is 160 (Compare to 800's 330) and the ram is 64M (compared to 800
's 128M) but can use the extenal card for ram (maximum 64M)
5. You need spend some time to config and learn how to use

Conclusion:
Can be used as PDA or laptop substituion in most of situation (this is why it is called tabelette). Good for internet broweser, PIM, mapper(can download and support GPS), E-mail reader, PDF reader, photo viewer, internet phone, chatter and more.

Good for the people who like to learn something in usage.
Not Good for the poeple who want to instant use (like women, edler, children)
My evaluation: 4 Star and half
(If you have money, I suggest you to buy 800. But if you like me as a student who like the new tech, try this one)

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Norwich, UK
I love my 770- however I find once I installed the hacked 2007 I thought- nice- the GUI doesnt half look nice. But I have had so many problems with the hacked OS- im back to the 2006 OS.

Originally Posted by Jelly-0 View Post
I love my 770- however I find once I installed the hacked 2007 I thought- nice- the GUI doesnt half look nice. But I have had so many problems with the hacked OS- im back to the 2006 OS.
Can you tell us what the problems were?

I Just love it. Right now I am posting and watchinger A Rod trying to get # 500. Cannot wait until I get my Navocore GPS package I picked up on e.Bay.

This forum is fantastic.