Notices

Perhaps this should be posted somewhere else, but since this problem seems to be limited to the Media Player app, and not the two Diablo upgrade, I thought I should start here.

After upgrading a couple of days ago and pulling in my original /home/user folder in its entirety (yeah, I suspect that may be the actual cause) I set about exploring and tweaking.

One issue that appeared rather quickly was the fact that my internet radio favorites were no longer available to me and eventually after trying and failing to get it from my old file (radiochannels.m3u) I entered them in manually by reading the backed up file and entering each item individually.

The next was that I can now no longer browse my library which includes my removable flash memory.

I have been searching for a configuration or some such thing to edit to correct the problem that I likely caused myself, but I haven't found the answer yet. And the only error message I get is:

"(i) Unable to perform operation. Try again."

Anyone with any ideas?

Okay, I think I have resolved the problem sufficiently.

As I had suspected, I was the cause. I was prepared to reflash the machine but before resorting to that, I decided to rename a file called ".meta_storage" to ".meta_storage_bak" and then as root, entered "reboot" on the command-line.

When it came back, the media player was behaving differently... even more broken at first. But it also said it was building the library... it took a VERY long time. And by VERY long time, I mean on the order of 1.5 to 2 hours. I let it go for a very long time and believed it was in some sort of loop. I was going to reflash the machine after all, but when I checked the machine just one last time, I found that the process had completed and that media player is now normal. Interestingly, the ".meta_storage" file that resulted from all of this is more than 3 times the size of the previous. It would seem that the original file was not likely compatible and not likely upgradeable from the previous.

Problem solved. The control file is ".meta_storage" which, if you didn't know what it was for before now, you have at least some clue what it's for now.

I renamed as suggested, rebooted with the power switch and opened media player. Now I have nothing in the library despite having 8gb of MP3 on my miniSd card. So what can I do to force media player to rebuild the library? It is doing nothing but sitting there

I'm having the same problem as dfinch. I have had nothing in my library for a week now.

BTW, I tried removing and inserting the card while the player was open as the help file said it reads new media when a card is inserted. This did nothing.

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
I was having an issue where Media Player would not build the library with a window that said "unable to perform operation." I renamed the file called ".meta_storage" to ".meta_storage_bak" and then as root, entered "reboot" on the command-line. I found this posted here:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=21356

mfortner

Thanks. However, the link is to this thread (I found your other post in Standard Media Player). I had also renamed the file as suggested. The only difference is that I used the button on the top rather than rebooting as root on the command line. Surely this is the same thing, or is it not?

The only difference is that I used the button on the top rather than rebooting as root on the command line. Surely this is the same thing, or is it not?
Not exactly the same (button on top will not stop the kernel completely if the charger is plugged in), but for your situation it's fine (as it shuts down the userspace stuff either way).

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
So any ideas how to force MP to re-read the media? I use my IT daily for playing MP3's ... well I did

BTW, I know I can find them through File manager or even MP open file but as one poster implied, this is tedious and limited.

does "ps -a" show metalayer-crawler running?

You can (re)start it like so: /etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0 (re)start

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post: