Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Hey Den. In case you ever wondered how really good movies could look on the older N800...

http://www.mediafire.com/?omjml2zm4ih

Check out this vid and pipe it through mplayer.
What encoder are you using and what setting did you use? I'd like to re-encode a few movies and would love to improve the quality.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
Yep: I love my orginal N800. Since spring 2007. Every thing works fine, but the screen is a little scratched. Used the N800 in China, Cameroon (blog: http://bit.ly/apn622) the USA and all over Europe, including in summertime from the beaches. I use it now both with WiFI or bluetooth connecting to 3G using my Nokia 6700. Great. Played with the Ipad in mid April. Ever tried to Print with an Ipad: http://bit.ly/a0oEKj ?

Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
I finally realized that I am totally content with my N800. I bought my first N800 in September of 2007. After 18 months the internal battery charger when out and then later the display started to become jerky. At this point, I could have bought any device on the market to replace it. Well, guess what? Rather than upgrading to an N810, I bought a new N800. I love the 16gb internal memory card. I love the camera that swivels. I love the external bluetooth gps that I use with it. I love the touch screen keyboard. I love how I cannot stand out in the hot sun while using it (although the screen is bright enough in the shade). Hopefully my new N800 will last me a couple of years and I can eventually install Mer and buy a couple of 64gb SD cards. My biggest wish is that someday, I will be able to run Skype in "Video" mode!

hello, first thanks in advance. my question is how are you doing to make work cards sdhc 16 gb? I have 2 sdhc sandisk and does not work any.
I do not know where to look.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by luisn800 View Post
hello, first thanks in advance. my question is how are you doing to make work cards sdhc 16 gb? I have 2 sdhc sandisk and does not work any.
I do not know where to look.
Luis, I remember that when I had an old OS (operating system) on my N800, I could not use 4gb sdhc or higher. Do you have the newest OS (5.2008.43-7) on your N800?

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post
What encoder are you using and what setting did you use? I'd like to re-encode a few movies and would love to improve the quality.
Actually, transcoding is too much of a hassle for me so I don't bother with it anymore.

My new love for the tablet is Xmms with earbuds and also Evince paired with nQaap for some easy book reading.

Yeah, still finding great uses for this thing.

By the way, what is the camera even supposed to be used for?

I never understood it.

I have "Camera" installed since "Knips" doesn't seem to work under the new Community SSU.

Not sure what the weirdness is since Knips always worked just fine from before.

But yeah, is there anything sexy that can be done with this?

I don't have a Skype account but I do have Google Voice and Pidgin.

Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post
Sorry for my shortness to your question earlier, I've been roughing some troubled waters as of late so I apologize for this.

Anyway, I think that the video settings I have are pushing the older tablet much too hard, and even still, are less then perfect.

Here's a brief look at how I transcode my DVDs to be used with mplayer.
http://www.mediafire.com/?yz4nq0d1tfm

If anyone is interested in this, I'll post a simple guide for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Posts: 143 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Bradford, (England)
The most understated device ever!

Tore the screen connector on mine - can t be repaired without purchasing new screen ?.

Using my second 800 now reluctantly.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by Yaser88 View Post
The most understated device ever!

Tore the screen connector on mine - can t be repaired without purchasing new screen ?.

Using my second 800 now reluctantly.
I am also on my second N800. I can afford to buy any device as a replacement, but am convinced that my N800 is still better than the N900. Who knows, mybe my third device will be another N800.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Alexandria, VA, USA
On my recent vacation, I brought along the N800 and the N900. I used the N800 to transfer pictures from my camera to the N900. It also became the backup device in case I lost the camera or the N900.