Poll: If you got two same phones only screen differs what screen will you choose
Poll Options
If you got two same phones only screen differs what screen will you choose

I voted resistive.
Why?
Simply because basically Nokia have managed to fit a 7" netbook display into a 3,5" screen. That's the way I see it.
Resistive has it's cons, like easily scratched and not very finger-print proof. But IMO the pros far outweigh the cons, specially when it comes to web browsing, creating images in MyPaint and making the most of that screen real estate by reducing the size of the shortcut icons and still hitting the right one every time.

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
I voted capacitive only for multi touch if there was a resistive panel with multi I would choose that.
what about this!!!!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/19/s...face-on-video/

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
i prefer the resistive over capacitive...accuracy is terrible on the capacitive! unfortunately, not much for resisitive out there.

Originally Posted by azkay View Post
Source? Where did you find those percentages?
I think I made it very obvious in my post (page 1) that I was talking on behalf of my experiences.
I love doodling some stuff down and what-not, but ever since I tried the iPhone I felt like I enhance my usage (mostly comfort and speed wise) if I simply used my finger for certain actions rather than a stylus, but also carry a stylus for those doodling.

So I think the superiority comes down to personal skills:

Resistive screen
+ with MultiTouch
- in its infacy (in terms of multitouch)
+ use any object as stylus
+ Cheaper to produce
+ Better accuracy
+ Taps are more defined
- Swiping motions are horrible compared to capacitive
- Screen (plastic) prone to easy scratches

Capacitive
+ with 10 finger MultiTouch
+ highly adopted/developed upon
- must use things with a charge (finger, meat, sal****er)
- Slightly more expensive (not really affecting end user)
- Less accurate (not the case in the future i believe)
- Slightly higher chance of accidental taps (depends mostly on user skill)
+ Swiping motion is a breeze
+ Screen is usually less prone to damages (eg Gorilla Glass)

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hobart, Australia
I like to use the nail of my index finger as my pointing device (requires less pressure, glides over surface more easily, very accurate, more ergonomic for wrists), so I guess that means I require a resistive screen. That said, I would get a capacitive if the phone had a built-in, capacitive-functioning stylus.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I would never pick a phone on the basis of whether its screen is resistive or capacitive. I would deal with either. I suspect that my next phone will be capacitive because that's the way choice is trending.

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 398 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ USA
I dont know about everybody else but i am so comfortable with resistive screen than capacitive one. This morning i was playing with my friend's nokia E7 and i can tell you that N900 is still better. E7 is so damn sensitive that react to my finger while it still about tooth pick thick away from my finger. Or maybe my body is generating too much electrostatic which could cause that. The symbian Os is suck handdown compare to our n900. I was thinking buying it as my next phone, but after experiencing with E7 this morning, I would say i need to take of my n900 a little better so it would last for couple more years. N900 is still a king of smart phone IMO due to the fact its Maemo OS is one of a kind. I can write many personal apps according to my taste.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I would never pick a phone on the basis of whether its screen is resistive or capacitive. I would deal with either. I suspect that my next phone will be capacitive because that's the way choice is trending.
exactly what I think.. everything is going capacitive now. at the same time though Nokia has a reputation of not doing what deverybody else is (good or bad)... so who knows.

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
if this was on android or iphone forums result may be differ, and what i believe it is just because they want to impress their girlfriends by the capacitive screen ,, but here the result is true because we are talking about usage and more friendliness of the screen not to impress a girl by "stylus" screen

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I don't draw.
I don't need to wear mitts or gloves.
No current OS supports handwriting recognition... and on the other hand, multitouch gestures are improving and they offer great usability on modern smartphone OSes.

Capacitive for me, until the best of both world is available.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Tags
capacitive, compare, resistive, screen