In my particular Ubuntu VMware install, the password (starting with a U) was a bit hard to find...but it made sense afterwards.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
The fact that it's shown the icon means it's mounted it, and so the sequence of steps weren't correct and the device has booted semi-normally.

FWIW, the Ubuntu image I downloaded put you into a user account called `ubuntu' with a password of `ubuntu'.

When I try to run the "sudo root ./flasher" command, I am prompted for a password and I enter "ubuntu". Then I get a "sudo: root: command not found" message. If I type "./flasher --enable-rd-mode --reboot" without the "sudo root" prefix, it appears to run but it just waits for a valid USB device.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ ls
flasher
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ sudo root ./flasher --enable-rd-mode --reboot
sudo: root: command not found
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop$

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
Biomech, I got exactly the same problems you had. You have to become super user in Ubuntu, you are doing this by using the command sudo -s -H then you can run the command ./flasher --enable-rd-mode --reboot

Now you're N770 is rebooting and you can proceed with the wiki tutorial. I did not see any green text during the boot, but I did see an extra icon under the Nokia logo.

I will change the wiki a little bit.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thank you TVD! Finally someone realizes wikis are live documents that most anyone can edit

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Bangkok, Thailand
Hi,

I downloaded Ubuntu-5.10.zip twice and got the same error when attempting to unzip it. I got the same md5sum on both downloads.

Here is what I did:

[root@darkside tmp]# md5sum Ubuntu-5.10.zip
d05acfdd21202bee363735c322d75bef Ubuntu-5.10.zip
[root@darkside burner]# unzip Ubuntu-5.10.zip
Archive: Ubuntu-5.10.zip
creating: Ubuntu-5.10/
inflating: Ubuntu-5.10/Ubuntu-5.10.vmx
inflating: Ubuntu-5.10/Ubuntu-5.10.vmdk
Ubuntu-5.10/Ubuntu-5.10.vmdk: write error (disk full?). Continue? (y/n/^C) y
bad CRC 74db82b1 (should be 1b5d2094)

This was done in different ext3 partitions with more than 25-gigs of free space. Any ideas of what's happening.

Bill

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Bangkok, Thailand
Disregard my post about experiencing unzip problems. I downloaded a free 30-day evaluation version of pkzip for Linux and all went well. Ubuntu-5.10 loaded into VMWareplay with no problems.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
I used the Root enabled Patch to the Nokia update Software by Kreature. But I still dont know how to become root. I have Vim and Xterm installed as well. Please tell me how to do this.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
If you've got the patched firmware installed, sudo gainroot is the command you need.

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowDoiBecomeRoot

Anyone know how to become root if I dont have acces to Linux?