I'd say that option 1 is best. It's possible to tweak the outer dimensions. Most time you'd want it to have the same size as the phone, but lets say you want to add two front facing speakers at the side of the screen.

The inner dimension will not change. It has to fit the phone and the phone stays the same. If Jolla releases something else (like a BIG tablet) that have other dimensions, lot of other things will also change and the outer dimensions wont stay the same anway.

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by evk View Post
I'd say that option 1 is best. It's possible to tweak the outer dimensions. Most time you'd want it to have the same size as the phone, but lets say you want to add two front facing speakers at the side of the screen.

The inner dimension will not change. It has to fit the phone and the phone stays the same. If Jolla releases something else (like a BIG tablet) that have other dimensions, lot of other things will also change and the outer dimensions wont stay the same anway.
noop, not the answer i am looking for!

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Option 2: Determining from the outside walls. You have all the necessary definite dimensions already: snap-ons, camera holes, microusb hole, etc. You can add those in the end. It is much more important to concern yourself with the "functional design" first because that's what you want to achieve -a function. When you get the first functional model, you can start all the adaptation from there -the finetuning. If you do this the other way around, you might start with non-functional TOH first and then you have to work your way making it actually functional by tweaking the dimensions (to make space for stuff you're trying to cram in). You try to make it with "perfect dimensions" and at the same time you might break the function you're trying achieve with your TOH. Much wiser to first achieve the function and then achieve the optimal dimensions than the other way around.

In other words: try to make the concept work first -not the design.

Why "determining from inside dimensions" = "design first; function later" is simply because not all functions fit within the inside-wall dimensions, not at the first try at least I imagine.

Pardon me if I talk nonsense. I just had a look at your tutorials and pondered... alot. Never done any 3D/CAD work. But I do want the TOH though so I had to try

Could it be related to adjustments that needs to be done once you get back the first test print and find that it isn't a perfect fit?

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by evk View Post
Could it be related to adjustments that needs to be done once you get back the first test print and find that it isn't a perfect fit?
warmer....

Different wall thickness for different printers/materials? Will your own printer differ slightly compared to shapeways?

If so, I'd say that the outer dimension + thickness defines the inner dimension. Doesn't matter that much if the outer shape is of one tenth of a millimeter, So "simply" adjust the thickness if the result is too tight/loose.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
A finnish girl managed to decode radio controlled bus stop displays and built a personal display repeater at home, telling when it's time to go.

Details here: http://www.windytan.com/2013/11/deco...-bus-stop.html

Will be possible to make a BusOtherHalf with LED display?

Originally Posted by gianko View Post
Will be possible to make a BusOtherHalf with LED display?
My somewhat educated guess... possible? Maybe. Practical? Maybe not, since for each BOH you would need to cannibalize one DVB dongle (of the right kind, that is), possibly shield it and also provide it with at least an adequate antenna probably sticking out of the BOH's side.

All that aside, I still like your idea!

As a vaguely related thought, I wonder if someone has tested how well (or poorly) SDR Touch works on Alien Dalvik?

Maybe you want to define the walls from the inside out, so one of the corners of the 'phone hole' is at a 0,0,0 in your coordinate system.

Then, if Jolla's new phone is a different size, or the printer you're using is inaccurate by a given amount, you can apply a scaling factor to the whole thing (in any dimension) without causing the phone hole to move away from the origin, making aligning other parts with it or redesigning things easier (you can use simpler calculations for offsets, and you can still snap to a grid in the software)

?

was wondering if youll make a protective 'case' for all the TOHs that we have bought hehe

coz I can only use one at a time.. and I wanna store them in my bag to switch whenever I please.. but.. pretty sure they'll get damaged.. and this makes me sad D: