Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Lappeenranta, Finland
I've made an playable version of Quetoo Quake2 port for the N800. The game renders at 320x192 by default, though any can be used by launching the game with f.ex. 'quetoo +set vid_width 400 +set vid_height 240' from xterm and the image is always scaled to fill the whole screen. Looking around works by dragging on the screen.

You'll need to place the quake2 paks to /media/mmc2/quake2/baseq2/. The menu link launches the first level of the full version. To go to other maps, start the game from xterm with 'quetoo +map name_of_map'. (there's an list of all the map names in the same folder that has the quake2 paks atleast on my quake2 cd).

The package and sources are available from http://www2.lut.fi/~thietan1/quetoo/.

The game does not run amazingly fast, but if someone could optimize the ConvertRGBtoYUY2 function in vid_sdl.c, the game could probably run far better.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ZerionSeven For This Useful Post:
Hate to see duplicated work. Quetoo was already release quite a while ago, although there is probably lots of room for improvement.

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/maemo-quetoo/

You might want to contact him and see if he has any patches to improve the speed or functionality, or maybe you could do a joint version? I would love to see Quake 1/2 really running well on the N800. It would really highlight the power of this small, unassuming device. It is really too bad that Nokia hasn't done any work to support the 3d acceleration features built into the processor.

I would especially love to see bluetooth mouse support so that games like this could be played properly and for better interaction with remote systems.

Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Hate to see duplicated work. Quetoo was already release quite a while ago, although there is probably lots of room for improvement.

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/maemo-quetoo/

You might want to contact him and see if he has any patches to improve the speed or functionality, or maybe you could do a joint version? I would love to see Quake 1/2 really running well on the N800. It would really highlight the power of this small, unassuming device. It is really too bad that Nokia hasn't done any work to support the 3d acceleration features built into the processor.

I would especially love to see bluetooth mouse support so that games like this could be played properly and for better interaction with remote systems.
I knew about that version, tried some time ago, but it can only be played in a small window, and looking around doesn't work in any useful way. Though I guess I could have contacted him first, to see if he had made any progress, but it really wasn't all that much work to fix those. Done faster, than I probably would have received an reply from him.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZerionSeven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
Glad to see someone else finally taking up quetoo!

the last port is pretty much just a straight compile, and no updates were relaased to make it playable.

My tablet sort of screwed up so i can't test this right now, but i'll def try it after i reflash.

Just a qns though, how do i change the path to the data files? I would like to store it in my mmc1 instead.

Originally Posted by torx View Post
Just a qns though, how do i change the path to the data files? I would like to store it in my mmc1 instead.
The datadir is being set at compile time, so it probably can't be changed runtime right now, though quake2 does seem to have an basedir option too. You could try running with 'quetoo +set basedir /folder/where/baseq2/is/'. You'll also need to copy the autoexec.cfg and pics to the new baseq2 folder. I'll try looking into that, when I have a bit more free time.

Last edited by ZerionSeven; 2007-10-12 at 07:45.

I did some further work on the project. I was able to optimize the RGB->YUY2 conversion a bit and the game now renders a bit faster.

More notably it seems it is possible to use basedir option to define the location of the data files and I made a simple launcher, that can be used to tell the game, where they are. The launcher also has options for selecting the map to start from, few resolution options, gamma and sensitivity sliders, options for displaying fps and particles and a difficulty setting.

I tried to make the game automatically save when quitting, and then loading from that point, when next launched, but the normal quake2 save funtion doesn't seem to be doing anything with quetoo. I think I'll try asking the upstream quetoo maintainer about that before wasting any more time with that. Though I won't be having access to my pc during the weekend, so that'll have to wait atleast until monday.

Files again available at http://www2.lut.fi/~thietan1/quetoo/.

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
Finally got around to trying this! This thing plays fantastic on the N800 (on 200x120 resolution)., infact, even smoother than the quake 1 port.

Everyone HAS to try this! Absolute milestone of gaming on the tablet!

Controls are mapped out nicely, except for the esc key, which more often than not, "kicks" me out of the game in the heat of the action.

If you want really smooth, but pretty bad graphics, try this:
$ quetoo +set vid_width 200 +set vid_height 120

Otherwise, you can go for:
$ quetoo +set vid_width 300 +set vid_height 180
if you want a good balance between framerate and graphics.

Note: I was testing the first release, as i couldn't install python. The second release should run faster.

You can get the shareware files here: # Shareware Quake Game Data (8.13m)

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ZerionSeven View Post
I did some further work on the project. I was able to optimize the RGB->YUY2 conversion a bit and the game now renders a bit faster.
http://www2.lut.fi/~thietan1/quetoo/.
Why are you converting to YUV2? AFAIK the native mode is RGB565

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Because, I'm doing the scaling by just converting the main surface to an overlay, and letting the N800 handle the scaling. I read somewhere, the N800 hardware supports YUY2 natively, so even if it's not done in hardware now, it probably could be someday.

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Maybe because arbitrary hardware upscaling is available through XV extension API on N800 (which is used by SDL for YUV format surfaces)? By the way, N800 graphics chip supports arbitrary upscaling for RGB color formats too. But if portability to Nokia 770 is also desired, maybe just using pixel doubling through XSP extension is a way to go.