Posts: 47 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Ireland
I've searched through and I don't think anyone specifically answers this question directly.

As far as I'm aware, the main differences between the US and Euro models are:

Wifi bands 1-11 - US
1-13 - EU (shouldn't pose a problem)

Keyboard layout maybe?

Frequencies for 3G.. from searching online there's mixed opinions as to whether the N900 from the US would be compatible in the EU with our networks over here. But the frequencies cover 900/2100 bands [i'm a bit dodgy with this kind of thing] so technically should work fine with most networks?

Thinking of buying one, but the US models are cheaper than the EU models.

If I could get a yes or no answer, please

Last edited by dandiesel; 2009-10-26 at 11:37.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
this should not be a problem at all. The one major difference is the power plug.. but adapters are cheap. i will get one in the us in january. be aware if you buy in stores you pay sales tax so you would pay slightly more than from online retailers.

The Following User Says Thank You to 77h For This Useful Post:
I'm actually ordering one from the UK, it's a US version and significantly cheaper than ordering a UK model and importing from the US.

The power plug isn't an issue

Thanks a lot.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by 77h View Post
this should not be a problem at all. The one major difference is the power plug.. but adapters are cheap. i will get one in the us in january. be aware if you buy in stores you pay sales tax so you would pay slightly more than from online retailers.
If you import from US to EU you must pay VAT complete amount you paid for article including S&H. This is converted to EUR. So what happens is this:

1) Price of product in USD.
2) Price of S&H in USD.
3) Credit card / Paypal fee in USD.
4) EUR -> USD conversion fee.
5) Clearance fee (in EUR).
6) Default country's VAT (sales tax) over product and S&H (!!!).
7) Additional tax to customs depending on product ranging from 3,7% to 12%.
8) If the product goes poof your warranty is not valid in EU stores. This is, with Nokia, only valid if you bought the product within EU. So you then have to get in contact with your US store or Nokia US.

I suggest looking at UK. GBP is low, saves almost all of the above, arrives faster (US -> EU is week, customs is... depends... week here in NL while UK -> NL is 3 or 4 days), and warranty is easier. Only thing is right charger. But you can even use a converter for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dandiesel View Post
I'm actually ordering one from the UK, it's a US version and significantly cheaper than ordering a UK model and importing from the US.

The power plug isn't an issue

Thanks a lot.
Do you have an address I could use, I'm thinking of buying a US version as well and this could be a good option...

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Berlin/Germany
the major difference between the n900 in the eu and the us really is
the f****g price. well if you live in the eu of course.
americans pay 582.99$ on amazon.com and i have to pay
901,67$ on amazon.de. for the lazy ones: that is an amount of
318,68$! now how does that suck?!

Cheapest I can find on a UK site is €489 including shipping. Which is £449 GBP.. not bad. Might be worth getting a UK model if I can sell my N97.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Berlin/Germany
if i would order the n900 from the us, it would be ~476€ + a duty of
~90€ (19%) + shipping costs of ~20€ (?) = 586€. not worth the action.

The Following User Says Thank You to konstrukt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by konstrukt View Post
the major difference between the n900 in the eu and the us really is
the f****g price. well if you live in the eu of course.
americans pay 582.99$ on amazon.com and i have to pay
901,67$ on amazon.de. for the lazy ones: that is an amount of
318,68$! now how does that suck?!
In EU it costs 600 EUR.
In US it costs 583 USD without sales tax.
Sales tax varies from state to state.
If we add 20% sales tax (approx what it is in EU (in USA it is less, indeed, that is why we have a social security system etc)) we get 700 USD..
..which is according to Google 465 EUR. This means the Nokia N900 is 135 EUR in USA when comparing Amazon.com with Amazon.de

According to Geizhalz, Alternate sells Nokia N900 for 500 EUR, and in the Netherlands the price is about 540 EUR. A difference of 35-75 EUR. Boohoo, how evil. Well, based on this data it won't help you to order it from USA; see my above post.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
If you import from US to EU you must pay VAT complete amount you paid for article including S&H. This is converted to EUR. So what happens is this:

1) Price of product in USD.
2) Price of S&H in USD.
3) Credit card / Paypal fee in USD.
4) EUR -> USD conversion fee.
5) Clearance fee (in EUR).
6) Default country's VAT (sales tax) over product and S&H (!!!).
7) Additional tax to customs depending on product ranging from 3,7% to 12%.
8) If the product goes poof your warranty is not valid in EU stores. This is, with Nokia, only valid if you bought the product within EU. So you then have to get in contact with your US store or Nokia US.

I suggest looking at UK. GBP is low, saves almost all of the above, arrives faster (US -> EU is week, customs is... depends... week here in NL while UK -> NL is 3 or 4 days), and warranty is easier. Only thing is right charger. But you can even use a converter for that.
I was speaking about a physical visit to the US!!! I have a friend in the US who will order it for me on amazon. he will personally give it to me & i will take it with me. No tax and no, I never worry about customs, neither in the UK, nor in Europe nor in Chile

The Following User Says Thank You to 77h For This Useful Post:

Tags
duties for dummies