Poll: Who will ship first?
Poll Options
Who will ship first?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
What? Are other people participating in the bet? I thought it was just fanoush and I. And it looks now like I will lose. But, considering the fact that I'm not really interested in a smartphone (I do not own a mobile phone at all), I might be buying a Pandora too, now

As for the "Does it count?" question: any new Maemo device, including the rumoured "Rover", counts for the Nokia side. So now it seems that Pandora just has to be in fanoush's hands before October for him to win.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
What? Are other people participating in the bet? I thought it was just fanoush and I. And it looks now like I will lose. But, considering the fact that I'm not really interested in a smartphone (I do not own a mobile phone at all), I might be buying a Pandora too, now

As for the "Does it count?" question: any new Maemo device, including the rumoured "Rover", counts for the Nokia side. So now it seems that Pandora just has to be in fanoush's hands before October for him to win.

Ditto--I'm severely disinterested in purchasing what is basically a phone.. and very likely will carry with it all the baggage of being a phone (much increased price, radio that will be tied to a service, contract plan for phone service if I wanted it, etc.).

Naw.. I think I might also wait and just get a Pandora despite my otherwise pleasant experienced with my N800. (Or, in fact, BECAUSE of them--I REALLY didn't want to lose the two SD slots and the physical location of those slots in the Pandora is PERFECT for me.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I wonder whether is there a way to add cellular connectivity to the Pandie. My first planned approximation is a usb 3g modem velcroed to one side. Any better idea?
yeah, get a nokia instead

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I wonder whether is there a way to add cellular connectivity to the Pandie. My first planned approximation is a usb 3g modem velcroed to one side. Any better idea?
bluetooth to a phone?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
bluetooth to a phone?
I am abandoning the idea of using one SIM both for voice and data - I'm presently using two plans from different telcos, one for voice (and it's a bargain) and one for 3g (4,77 gigabyte/month for 30 euros).
So by now I bring with me two phones plus my n810 - that's really too much. This is the reason I'd embed my data sim into a not-so-large kludge sticked to the Pandora... (or else, as lcuk suggests, into a maemophone).

EDIT: here's the Pandora Photo Album -> drool

Last edited by debernardis; 2009-05-28 at 05:02. Reason: added photo album

You know, that will actually work on a Pandora.. unlike with an N8x0, because the Pandora can provide 500mA. You'll have to get a USB2 type 3G modem though, say, Huawei e160 (and not the e220).
Still, that's a lot of power.. so I'll be using a BT phone, just as I do with my N800.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Some 3G modems should work; it all depends on the availability of OSS Linux drivers for its chipset,

Alternatively, at least one of the SD-slots is SDIO-compatible, so if you were to stumble upon a SDIO 3G modemwith Linux drivers, you'd have an internal soltion (minus one storage slot of course).

Just be sure to let me know where you found that SDIO modem...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I am abandoning the idea of using one SIM both for voice and data - I'm presently using two plans from different telcos, one for voice (and it's a bargain) and one for 3g (4,77 gigabyte/month for 30 euros).
So by now I bring with me two phones plus my n810 - that's really too much. This is the reason I'd embed my data sim into a not-so-large kludge sticked to the Pandora... (or else, as lcuk suggests, into a maemophone).

EDIT: here's the Pandora Photo Album -> drool
perhaps a dual sim phone? Either way, I am and have been drooling, waiting, hoping. Now thats a keyboard for a linux device.

getting excited!!
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
perhaps a dual sim phone? Either way, I am and have been drooling, waiting, hoping. Now thats a keyboard for a linux device.
Cmon, how can you call this a "keyboard for a linux device". It doesn't even have tab and control keys !

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Some 3G modems should work; it all depends on the availability of OSS Linux drivers for its chipset,
Alternatively, at least one of the SD-slots is SDIO-compatible, so if you were to stumble upon a SDIO 3G modemwith Linux drivers, you'd have an internal soltion (minus one storage slot of course).
Just be sure to let me know where you found that SDIO modem...
Alert, the sleeper has awakened ! :-)

BTW Karel, this time you have no excuse for not coming to grumble at the next summit, if you still haven't escaped Belgium by October... :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:

Tags
burtflitter, chinese food, christmas, christmas 2013, christmas 2666, credit card fraud, dnf, fata morgana, lies, omap3, pandora, pandora != real, pandora hoax, pandora is going to ship?, pandora v linear time war, retreating shipdate, ripoff, scam, speculation, virtualbox